Re: finishing aluminum

To: "todd" <todd@twinjugs.com>
Subject: Re: finishing aluminum
From: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 12:29:35 -0600
well, right now the rear wheel inner fender is done, and I'm working on the
tail/seat section that is gonna be semi enclosed and also be open to the
rear, I will have trouble getting paint into it once it's together, so
it'll be easier to paint it as I go....and I hope to have the tail section
attached this evening....so work is progressing nicely....been hanging fire
on this for a couple of weeks now trying to build it without building in
more work in the future....

At 12:56 PM 11/18/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>I find prepping and priming the inside(or backside) of a piece when doing the
>finished side is usually the most cost effective in time and money... and
>then just light dusting it with the intial base coat or final clearcoat of
>whatever the finish material. Am I missing something here?
>Kudos to ya on the metal shaping John.. I'd imagine the learning curve on
>that is not only large but LOUD- lol.
>Todd Dross
>
> > Subject: finishing aluminum
> > > Howdy, I am in the process of building an aluminum fairing for my
> > > motorcycle, (and am having fun teaching myself how to shape metal in
> broad
> > > sweeps, built an english wheel and an air planishing hammer and seem
> to be
> > > collecting an unusual amount of hammers) and am wondering what
> > > paint/coating I can use on aluminum to protect the underside, you know,
> > > inner fender wells, and the places where the outside surface paint does
> > > not cover.

           John Robinson, Mechanician
   Mechanical Engineering University of Wisconsin
                 1513 University Ave.
                  Madison, Wi. 53706
                     608-262-3606
            Current World Land Speed Record Holder
                  Bonneville Salt Flats
           H/GCC 92 cu.in. 1980 Dodge Colt
                  144.396 MPH set 2000
       MPS-PG 441 c.c. 1967 BSA Victor Motorcycle
                     95.193 MPH set 2001
                 Antarctic Ice Driller Oct02-Jan03