El Mirage

To: "landspeed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: El Mirage
From: "Glen Barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 14:39:59 -0700
Well the long six months are over and El Mirage is active again. We had warm
and somewhat windy weather but that did not stop the hearty racers. It was
good to see our friends and racers together again. Keith Turk and his
sweetheart Tonya looked us up right away and now I see why Keith is being a
good boy in spite of his natural snotty self. Chris & Ed Shearer, the Van
Scoys and a few others I didn't get a chance to meet were also there.

We had about 110 entries and everone got one run. The course started to go
away later in the day. Turbo Rick had top speed in the liner and John Noonan
top speed for bikes. He was a little under his usual speeds. I'm not sure if
this was a different bike or not. There were 4 spins and a bunch of chutes not
working. There were several new cars and bikes in inspection. Paul Stanley had
his new Rich Manchen built lakester up for a pre insp. Jack Costello and
Derick McLeash both had their new streamliner motorcycles up for check out
runs. Both had new bike bugs,

Looks like this season is going to have a lot of new stuff at speedweek as
well. I am hearing about several  vehicles being built. Sure hope we have lots
of good hard salt as well as long. Rich Fox got a record with the 4 cyl.
Plymouth. Like all season openers it's hard to visit with everyone. Anytime
you are on the lake bed you are welcome to stop by the timing trailer to say
Hi and see our operation.

The results should be on the web site tonite or tomorrow.

Glen