El Mirage

To: Land Speed <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: El Mirage
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 08:55:06 -0700

We only made one pass, a rookie run at a blazing 122+ MPH.

Barry has been 230 MPH in the car at Bonneville, but the dirt is a bit
different. He has logged lots of miles at the Salt and had not as yet
used the parachute. The cautions given him, by the officials, before the
run, ranged from, "A record broken from the rookie line is frowned upon
and not allowed" to "Don't spin the car". I think there were too many
things flashing through his head during the run. It got loose in the
upper end of second gear, he shifted early and got up to 130MPH and
backed down to the final 122MPH. I am certain that he would have done a
bit better on a subsequent run, but that ws not to be.

We arrived on the lake bed at about 7:30 AM to find a stiff tail wind
which continued most of the day, subsiding a bit at times and shifting
directions occasionally. Keith and Tonya came by the pit while we were
unloading and talked a bit. Didn't get to see anyone else on the list at
the meet. I understand Ed Van Scoy and others were there, but I was in
my usual mode of sticking with the car and focused on the job at hand. I
did see the Shearers from Utah.

We waited until about 3 PM for the first round to finish so we could
make a second pass, but there were several car had not run when we left.

Was it worth the trip? Yes, I always enjoy going to the Lakes. I have
towed 1200 miles round trip on a couple of occasions and not made one
run. During inspection, I found some things that need attention, which
left until Speedweek could have been a problem. Including the seat belts
which expired in April 2003. I suggest that everyone check theirs. Time
has a way of getting away from us. At least at my age! Anyway, I
appreciated the reminder.

We did get one problem solved during the trip. The new motor had been
very difficult to get fired up. We installed a gear-reduction starter on
this motor which slows down the cranking speed and adds to the problem I
suppose, plus I don't have the luxury of the fuel priming capabilities
that the nitrous system provided. In November, we had attempted to use a
fuel bottle and hose through the front of the scoop, which didn't work
well. This time I took my propane enrichment bottle with me to give it a
try. It works great!

See you at Speedweek.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/GCC