Re: Bonneville Road Race

To: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Bonneville Road Race
From: Ed Van Scoy <ed@vetteracing.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 14:04:53 -0700
---- Original message ----
>Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 11:20:52 -0800 (PST)
>From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
>Subject: Bonneville Road Race
Sorry Dick, I hit delete instead of reply regarding your last
post.... FYI, the Silver State Classic is the oldest race
(1987) along with it's twin, Nevada Open Road Challenge.
Classic is in September, Challenge is in May. They are both
run on the same 90 mile stretch of hwy 318 between Lund and
Hiko, the same road between Las Vegas & Ely that most of us
west coasters take to the salt. I have been running these
races since 1991. It is very addicting, and can be run with
the "family" car (especially if your dad was named Enzo or
Ferdinand). The blue Corvette I run at Bonneville was
originally built to run in the Unlimited class in the Open
Road Races. Some of the "old heads" might remember the red '85
Vette I ran at Bonneville that was also built to run on the
road. (the "blue" vette was painted gold from 1994-1999 on the
salt, but it was still #128). Today, I use my "street car", a
stock 1993 Corvette ZR-1 which can average 150 mph without
breaking a sweat & will hit 180 on the long downhills) As for
the Bonneville 100, Dale hit it right on the head. When this
race was first proposed a couple of years back, the Unlimited
drivers decided to boycott the race because of the open range
problem. It IS a problem, I often see mustangs (no, not the
Blue Ovel cars) around White Horse Pass, and I almost hit a
deer on that stretch 2 years ago. The only time I have seen
"animal problems" on Hwy 318 was with birds. John Hennesey
smacked a Turkey Buzzard at about 200 & really bashed the
front end of his car.... I hit a bird at 180 once & it just
went "poof!"  If you want more info on the Bonneville race
click on
http://www.openroadracing.com//    For more info on Silver
State, click on     http://www.silverstateclassic.com/  If you
are REALLY hard up for entertainment, click on this page for
some pictures of my Club's last trip up there. (and yes, that
is a USFRA 150 Club patch on my driving suit ;-) )
http://www.vette.org/Silverstate/
Ed

>To: land-speed@autox.team.net
>
>Anybody on the list familiar with highway 93A which runs SW
into Nevada out of Wendover?  That outfit that runs the open
road races in Nevada has added another race this year using
fifty miles of that road.  They say that it climbs 2000 feet
out of Wendover.  The race runs up that road, then after a
short stop, everybody races downhill back towards Wendover.
100 miles total.  I know some of you guys         (Ed VS?)
run in these races.  Any thoughts?