Don Vesco

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Don Vesco
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 13:07:10 -0500
List

The sad news reached me first by telephone last evening that Don had lost
his battle with Cancer, which we here in the UK hoped he had been beating
during this year.

My condolences to the family and to the racing groups in the USA who were
close to Don, Rick and to the whole Turbinator Team.  Whether a two wheel
lover or four Don was on the list of greats in both disciplines.

As I write this, Don is looking over my shoulder from the Turbinator poster
on my home office wall.

Life can be so unfair.......Don still had the desire to get his wheeldriven
vehicle to 500 mph and perhaps to build another 2 wheel streamliner to set
another outright motorycle speed......and we will not now see this happen
for him.

As Chairman of the Speed Record Club I was pleased to present Don with his
Honorary Membership Card in the Turbinator pit during Speedweek 50.  Just
afterwards, the fastest man ever on land Andy Green stopped by to chat with
Don.  I will look at the photos I took at that time again tonight........

In '99 Don came out to the flats to see what Richard Brown was trying to do
with the Team Maximum Impulse rocket bike - photos are in BRN 82.   A speed
legend interested in what another racer was trying to do to go fast.   (The
Vesco-Nish groups had already loaned TMI their trailer to use to transport
the bike in Wendover and out to that flats).  Four days in Don's company on
that occassion.

I have also received an e mail from my contact in the FIM, warmly
remembering the World Motorcycle Record holder and International motorcycle
racer - Don Vesco.  Our thoughts here in the UK and across Europe will be
with the whole Vesco Racing 'Family' of relations and friends.

We will all miss you Don..........but your friendship, support and speed
achievements will remain with us.

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England.