Re: Number of Classes

To: "Waldron, James" <James.Waldron@CWUSA.COM>
Subject: Re: Number of Classes
From: Rick Hammond <r.hammond@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 12:36:05 -0400
"Waldron, James" wrote:

> Dick,
>
> For motorcycles:
>
> I tried once, but ran into immediate problems.  It looks easy, Frame class
> times engine class times engine size.  But there are exceptions.  For
> example, Frame class P allows only engine classes P, PP, and PS and only to
> a maximum displacement of 2000cc.  So far no problem.  But, look at frame
> class S, which indicates ALL engine classes and all displacements.  This
> would seem to indicate that you could have, for example 1000-S-P  (1000cc,
> streamliner, production engine) but apparently this combination is not
> allowed (though I cannot find a specific rule to exclude it).

Hi James,
On that; I think the point is, it would be a whole other rat's nest to chase the
authentication of a 'production' engine in an otherwise custom package.
As it says; 'Production engines must be the same model as the model of the frame
being used..'  That isn't possible with a custom frame.
I see the production class not so much as a motor class as one for the total
'package' as sold to the public.  In that case it is easier to confirm/prove
that
something is stock, vs somebody saying; well, this was stock on the '98
Thundercrotch, but not the '99 Seppuku...
An analogy would be a car streamliner class just for 'crate' engines.

In defense (if it needs it) of the setup, there are a lot of classes, but there
is a big difference between a pair of bikes with perhaps a 100-150cc
displacement
difference, as well as the difference between pushrod/OHC.  They didn't even
split it up 2-stroke/4-stroke!  Then, as in the cars, you have different degrees
of streamlining, actually pretty simple.
Have fun,
Rick