Re: ?

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Subject: Re: ?
From: "Ed Van Scoy" <edvs@uswest.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 20:41:35 -0700
Here's the deal on the trailers (////////), at least as I understand it. Mark
maintains many lists, so there are MANY messages going through his server.
Sometimes, people just hit "reply all" and  add a few words, and hit "send" All
well and good, but often the e-mail sent contains the whole thread, with one
comment piled on top of another. This often makes for very long posts of
repeated
material. Seems all this repeated material is over-loading the server. So, if
you
respond to a message, Mark wants you to edit it as muc as possible to make it as
short as possible. in all instances, the trailer with the slashes MUST be
deleted. You may have seen some messages that said "manual intervention was
necessary..." - these were messages that the sender DID NOT edit in any way and
they would not have been posted if Mark had not manually intervened. I sense
that
as soon as most people get a handle on the "edit" procedure, the manual
intervention will stop and your post goes to the dead electron office, or
wherever lost e-mail goes.
Ed

Keith Turk wrote:

> Trying to get Mark to respond to me on this topic right now....it's
> confusing to me as well.... if I delete them I can send  mail.... if I
> don't it doesn't seem to work.... this situation is totally unacceptable as
> far as I am concerned...
>
> I think it has to do with the Amount and way we send traffic.... but on the
> end of the day it has to be EASY for the Non computer guy... and the
> Trailers make it complicated to respond....

> ----------
> > From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
> > To: land-speed@autox.team.net
> > Subject: Re: ?
> > Date: Tuesday, January 23, 2001 3:04 PM
> >
> > In a message dated 01/23/2001 11:13:56 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> > landspeedracer@email.msn.com writes:
> >
> > <<
> >  Question
> >
> >  Am I doing something wrong today? I've been sending e-mail to the list
> but
> >  not getting my copy back, so I'm assuming it's not going to the list at
> all
> >  only the individuals who are also addressed. What's up?
> >
> >  John Beckett
> >   >>
> > John,
> >     Could it be those new "trailers" that started appearing at the end of
> all
> > oue "E" mails last week? Maybe Keith can clarify what they mean.
> >     Tre hiliting the message you're respunding to, then click on "reply"
> and
> > it will eliminate the "trailers" from the message.........Ardin Doug King

///
///