Additives

To: List Land Speed <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Additives
From: "Bryan A. Savage Jr" <basavage@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 03:00:03 -0800
List;
some points..

 Mobil 1 is also the factory fill in new Mecerdes-Benz, Viper, Porsche
and some other manufactures (Honda?) are rumored to be using
a semi synthetic factory fill.

Mobil 1 is a "real" synthetic. I was told by a lube engineer
that Castrol Syntec can use the term "full synthetic" as a result
of winning a court case.

So called racing oils that say something about "not for street use"
usually have additive levels of phosphorus, zinc (two EP additives)
or other stuff that will poison a catalytic converter.
The new Mobil 1 MC oils are a good example. Pennzoil 25-50 is another one.
 (yes 25-50 racing oil not 20-50)

All good oils have a lot of additives in them.

There are three categories of after market snake oil that I know
a little bit about.

The first are the Chlorinated Paraffin's. (Prolong, ER and several others)
This stuff produces a chemical reaction when metal to metal contact
occurs that causes the peaks to be re-deposited in the valleys
resulting in a smother finish and greater surface area.
The stuff has been around for at least 30 years and is used in
everything from cutting oils to locomotive oil.

Vegetable liquid wax esters. (LubeGard and many specialty products
like instrument oil)
This was developed, when hunting Sperm Whales was banned, as a
substitute for Sperm Whale oil.
It comes from several plants, the only one I can remember at the moment
is Jojoba. You may have heard of Jojoba Oil which is really a wax.
Can anyone tell me the difference between an oil and a liquid wax???
As I understand it, it increases the film strength of oil.

Moly.
I know it makes gear boxes run cooler with much less wear.
Don't know about hypoid gears and I would not use it in an engine
except as an assembly lube for the cam and valve train parts.

While I will use these sometimes, I don't recommend any of them.
I try not to out smart the lubrication engineers but .....
I haven't found any oil specifically designed for Bonneville
so I keep reading.

Bryan (this is a lot longer than I thought it would be)