Re: Electronics and New Stuff

To: Beth Butters <bbutters@dmi.net>
Subject: Re: Electronics and New Stuff
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 07:39:42 -0800
Group,

Having seen a few comments which seem to indicate that Kugel's success
this year was due to electronics. I wouldn't be to quick to give
electronics the credit. Don't forget that many years ago Jerry went
almost 250 MPH in a high boy roadster running a 258 cu. inch twin-turbo
Chevy on alky.(no electronics) McDonald-Pitts also ran 296 MPH in the
early 90's with the same car that Jerry ran this year, running a big
block unblown, plus nitrous, probably still without electronics, I'm not
sure.

My point is don't fail to give the credit where it is due. Good
equipment, meticulous preparation, and years of experience on the Salt.
Jerry's roadster ran for years without a spin or engine failure. I have
known Jerry Kugel since he was a teenager, he is, without a doubt, one
of the most cautious and prepared, and therefore successful, racers to
run down the long black line.

And Beth, don't be too hard on the old cars. My car is too old to fit in
your 1940 to 1980 and its still competitive. Remember the
Thompson-Alpenfels-Frazier entry, a 1953 Stude, it still hold the E/BFCC
record at 235.294 set in 1970. Bruce Geisler is still setting records
with his Stude, as well.

Don't get discouraged, old is still competitive.

Tom, Redding CA 7:30 AM PST