healeys

Re: [Healeys] Rear seal kit

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rear seal kit
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 20:39:22 -0800

--------------7T2sWynicB2YUtyzYKCR6nft

David,

Do you drill the hole in the bearing cap?

bs

On 11/4/2023 9:04 PM, David Nock via Healeys wrote:
> [...]
>> wrote:
>>

>> Michael--
>>
>> Thanks for your input and I am certainly willing to forgo the expense
>> and trouble of having a rear seal fit if there is a strong chance of
>> it not being successful.
>> Besides (being an aging male) I should probably have the grace to
>> allow my car to have an occasional drip or two.
>>
>> A couple of questions....
>>
>> Q1--As said earlier my car does not have a great amount of leakage
>> through the cotter pin in the bell housing, though I do seem to
>> remember that it leaked more after the engine was freshly rebuilt
>> about 70K miles ago.  My oil pressure has also dropped about 10-15
>> psi from where it was after the rebuild.  Assuming that a fresh
>> engine will have higher oil pressure will that result in higher
>> crankcase pressures which would tend to increase leakage past the
>> scroll seal?
>>
>> Q2--My car has an early aftermarket valve cover and looks like the
>> ones sold by Ray Juncal minus one fin and with a flat versus a
>> slightly convex top surface.  There is no vent nipple and it has a
>> spring-loaded filler cap that probably does not make a tight seal
>> though there is no oil blow-by.  Is there a real advantage to
>> installing a PCV valve and if so where should the hose terminate?  I
>> removed the original LeMans kit CAB some time back and would prefer
>> not to refit it.
>>
>> Thanks--Michael Oritt
>>

>> On Sat, Nov 4, 2023 at 4:04â?¯PM Michael Salter
>> <michaelsalter@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>     I've fitted a couple of those kits and have been somewhat
>>     underwhelmed.
>>     Firstly you have to be VERY careful with the rear cap machining
>>     alignment,  definitely a case of measure twice, cut once. I would
>>     strongly recommend that the cap is in place on the block for this
>>     operation.
>>     Secondly I was very disappointed to find that the designers
>>     decided that it was just too much effort to utilize the 3 tapped
>>     holes already in the block to secure the upper half of the seal
>>     holder and instead required that one drill and tap 2 more holes
>>     for that purpose.
>>     Thirdly, and I appreciate that there is possibly no way around
>>     this but, the scroll on the crankshaft has to be machined off
>>     which is something that you should have your crank grinder do
>>     when the crank is being machined. I did mine in my 8" lathe and
>>     it's pretty scary having that huge hunk of steel spinning between
>>     centers (don't forget to disable the chuck brake ... rather
>>     frightening to notice the chuck winding off the spindle as you
>>     power it downð??³ð??³).
>>     Finally, after all that effort, there was still a small leak from
>>     the rear main which I finally resolved by installing my PCV.
>>      kit.
>>
>> https://precisionsportscar.com/austin-healey-100-engine-oil-leak-solution/
>>
>>     In future I'm not going to bother with the seal kit and just fot

<!DOCTYPE html>
  <head>
  </head>
    David,<br>
    Do you drill the hole in the bearing cap?<br>
    bs<br>
      Healeys wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:D3F67092-EE26-4616-9D46-B061F8448194@sbcglobal.net">
      I have installed probably 30 of the 100/4 rear seal conversions.
       And as long as you follow the instructions it works fine.
        pan bolt. It goes directly into the rear main drain and if you
        donâ??t use a copper washer and seal the threads it will leak. And
        you will blame the rear main seal. <br>
          Sent from my iPhone</div>
            Oritt <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:michael.oritt@gmail.com";>&lt;michael.oritt@gmail.com&gt;</a>
wrote:<br>
                for your input and I am certainly willing to forgo the
                expense and trouble of having a rear seal fit if there
                is a strong chance of it not being successful.  </div>
                (being an aging male) I should probably have the grace
                to allow my car to have an occasional drip or two.</div>
                of questions....</div>
                said earlier my car does not have a great amount of
                leakage through the cotter pin in the bell housing,
                though I do seem to remember that it leaked more after
                the engine was freshly rebuilt about 70K miles ago.  My
                oil pressure has also dropped about 10-15 psi from where
                it was after the rebuild.  Assuming that a fresh engine
                will have higher oil pressure will that result in higher
                crankcase pressures which would tend to increase leakage
                past the scroll seal?</div>
                car has an early aftermarket valve cover and looks like
                the ones sold by Ray Juncal minus one fin and with a
                flat versus a slightly convex top surface.  There is no
                vent nipple and it has a spring-loaded filler cap that
                probably does not make a tight seal though there is no
                oil blow-by.  Is there a real advantage to installing a
                PCV valve and if so where should the hose terminate?  I
                removed the original LeMans kit CAB some time back and
                would prefer not to refit it.</div>
                Oritt </div>
                4:04â?¯PM Michael Salter &lt;<a
                  href="mailto:michaelsalter@gmail.com";
                  moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">michaelsalter@gmail.com</a>&gt;
                wrote:<br>
style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                  have been somewhat underwhelmed.
                    with the rear cap machining alignment,  definitely a
                    case of measure twice, cut once. I would strongly
                    recommend that the cap is in place on the block for
                    this operation.</div>
                    find that the designers decided that it was just too
                    much effort to utilize the 3 tapped holes already in
                    the block to secure the upper half of the seal
                    holder and instead required that one drill and tap 2
                    more holes for that purpose. </div>
                    is possibly no way around this but, the scroll on
                    the crankshaft has to be machined off which is
                    something that you should have your crank grinder do
                    when the crank is being machined. I did mine in my
                    8" lathe and it's pretty scary having that huge hunk
                    of steel spinning between centers (don't forget to
                    disable the chuck brake ... rather frightening to
                    notice the chuck winding off the spindle as you
                    power it downð??³ð??³).</div>
                    was still a small leak from the rear main which I
                    finally resolved by installing my PCV. </div>
href="https://precisionsportscar.com/austin-healey-100-engine-oil-leak-solution/";
                      target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">https://precisionsportscar.com/austin-healey-100-engine-oil-leak-solution/</a></div>
                    the seal kit and just fot the PCV.</div>

--------------7T2sWynicB2YUtyzYKCR6nft--

--===============1968316812776960962==