healeys

Re: [Healeys] Rear seal kit

To: Michael Oritt <michael.oritt@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rear seal kit
From: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 15:59:39 -0400
Cc: Austin Healey <healeys@autox.team.net>

--000000000000a281be0609592055

I've fitted a couple of those kits and have been somewhat underwhelmed.
Firstly you have to be VERY careful with the rear cap machining alignment,
definitely a case of measure twice, cut once. I would strongly recommend
that the cap is in place on the block for this operation.
Secondly I was very disappointed to find that the designers decided that it
was just too much effort to utilize the 3 tapped holes already in the block
to secure the upper half of the seal holder and instead required that one
drill and tap 2 more holes for that purpose.
Thirdly, and I appreciate that there is possibly no way around this but,
the scroll on the crankshaft has to be machined off which is something that
you should have your crank grinder do when the crank is being machined. I
did mine in my 8" lathe and it's pretty scary having that huge hunk of
steel spinning between centers (don't forget to disable the chuck brake ...
rather frightening to notice the chuck winding off the spindle as you power
it down=F0=9F=98=B3=F0=9F=98=B3).
Finally, after all that effort, there was still a small leak from the rear
main which I finally resolved by installing my PCV.
 kit.
https://precisionsportscar.com/austin-healey-100-engine-oil-leak-solution/

In future I'm not going to bother with the seal kit and just fot the PCV.

On Fri., Nov. 3, 2023, 11:19 p.m. Michael Oritt, <michael.oritt@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm having my 100's engine done this winter and though it's not a terribl=
> leaker I''d like to install a rear seal kit to tighten things up as much =
as
> possible.
> I know there are several different kits available and would appreciate an=
> input on which one to select along with installation tips.
>
> Best--Michael Oritt

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com

--000000000000a281be0609592055

what underwhelmed.=C2=A0<div dir=3D"auto">Firstly you have to be VERY caref=
ul with the rear cap machining alignment,=C2=A0 definitely a case of measur=
e twice, cut once. I would strongly recommend that the cap is in place on t=
he block for this operation.</div><div dir=3D"auto">Secondly I was very dis=
appointed to find that the designers decided that it was just too much effo=
rt to utilize the 3 tapped holes already in the block to secure the upper h=
alf of the seal holder and instead required that one drill and tap 2 more h=
oles for that purpose.=C2=A0</div><div dir=3D"auto">Thirdly, and I apprecia=
te that there is possibly no way around this but, the scroll on the cranksh=
aft has to be machined off which is something that you should have your cra=
nk grinder do when the crank is being machined. I did mine in my 8&quot; la=
the and it&#39;s pretty scary having that huge hunk of steel spinning betwe=
en centers (don&#39;t forget to disable the chuck brake ... rather frighten=
ing to notice the chuck winding off the spindle as you power it down=F0=9F=
=98=B3=F0=9F=98=B3).</div><div dir=3D"auto">Finally, after all that effort,=
 there was still a small leak from the rear main which I finally resolved b=
y installing my PCV.=C2=A0</div><div dir=3D"auto">=C2=A0kit.=C2=A0<a href=
=3D"https://precisionsportscar.com/austin-healey-100-engine-oil-leak-soluti=
on/">https://precisionsportscar.com/austin-healey-100-engine-oil-leak-solut=
;m not going to bother with the seal kit and just fot the PCV.</div><div di=
_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Fri., Nov. 3, 2023, 11:19 =
p.m. Michael Oritt, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:michael.oritt@gmail.com";>michael.=
tyle=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div=
 dir=3D"ltr"><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"color:#3333ff">I&#39;m h=
aving my 100&#39;s engine done this winter and though it&#39;s not a terrib=
le leaker I&#39;&#39;d like to install a rear seal kit to tighten things up=
 as much as possible.<br>I know there are several different kits available =
and would appreciate any input on which one to select along with installati=
rer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferre=
r noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <=
a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferrer noreferr=