healeys

Re: [Healeys] Laycock overdrive

To: David Wirken <dmw@wirkenphoto.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Laycock overdrive
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 19:43:34 -0700
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net

--------------ScotcZieEj49qpVvggBhToX0

Two possible causes of this that I can think of:

1) O/D clutch is so worn it becomes jammed together (FWIW my BJ8's
clutch was still serviceable at 205K miles)
2) something is preventing pressure on the operating pistons from
bleeding down; not sure how this would happen, hopefully someone will
chime in

bs

On 8/12/2023 2:19 PM, David Wirken wrote:
> [...]
>     relies
>     > on adequate hydraulic pressure. The change from direct to overdrive
>     > needs to be smooth, not harsh, and if pressures are high the
>     unit will
>     > snap into and out of OD rather than the smooth interchange we
>     are used
>     > to while driving.
>     >
>     > When applied to the Austin Healey 100, the Laycock overdrive was
>     > initially a 32% reduction unit. It was soon found out in these
>     early
>     > Warwick cars that 32% was too much reduction.  DHMC swapped units
>     > three times in the original DMH tour car until they finally found a
>     > combination that produced the smooth shift and complimentary
>     gearing
>     > desired.
>     >
>     > It is difficult, today, to find any information on this original
>     32%
>     > gearbox, however if you examine the booklet (attached) supplied by
>     > Laycock for the early cars, you will notice that the casting
>     allowed
>     > for a large accumulator piston (seen on p6 in brochure). After some
>     > research and modified engineering, the company came up with this
>     alloy
>     > "sleeve" called the piston housing (photo) which partially
>     filled the
>     > chamber of the original large accumulator casting and allowed for a
>     > smaller accumulator piston that we see in all the later 28%
>     reduction
>     > units. That size piston, in proper condition, produced from 350-450
>     > lbs of needed hydraulic pressure to overcome the springs influence.
>     >
>     > I'm confident that the remark made by Geoff Healey in his writings
>     > about the early transmissions "harsh shifting" revolved around this
>     > huge accumulator piston producing too much pressure. Additionally,
>     > there were three various accumulator springs supplied which
>     adjusted
>     > the pressure. The early boxes produced about 350lbs and the later
>     > about 450.
>     >
>     > Today, Overdrive Spares supplies that sleeve housing with only one
>     > rubber O-ring as it is basically a filler part and not under
>     extreme
>     > pressure. The accumulator piston within is under that pressure.
>     They
>     > supply a modified piston using O-ring technology. So, it is not
>     > unusual to get good pressures over the normal 450 lbs required.
>     If it
>     > works well don't fix it.  The only concern is if the pressure
>     does not
>     > release when overdrive is not called for. A clean unit, with proper
>     > 30W oil, will allow that to happen. All this some old theory and

  <head>
  </head>
    Two possible causes of this that I can think of:<br>
    1) O/D clutch is so worn it becomes jammed together (FWIW my BJ8's
    clutch was still serviceable at 205K miles)<br>
    2) something is preventing pressure on the operating pistons from
    bleeding down; not sure how this would happen, hopefully someone
    will chime in<br>
    bs<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CALnfbV8X_WZjDAYXZWw5Ldrxv92Ue-hUo9VDCYyihrvtgtAFJA@mail.gmail.com">
        100 whose OD won't disengage after I switch it off, it's not an
        electrical problem and I'm really cautious about not putting the
        transmission in reverse. The only way I can release it is to
        rock the car back and forth in neutral until it pops out .
          11:11â?¯PM Bob Spidell &lt;<a href="mailto:bspidell@comcast.net";
            moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">bspidell@comcast.net</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
0.8ex;border-left-width:1px;border-left-style:solid;border-left-color:rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">re:
          "... The health of the 8 springs that keep the unit in direct
          drive <br>
          is important to keep the clutch from slipping...."<br>
          I believe the shop manual admonishes owners to replace these
          when <br>
          overhauling the unit, even if the old ones look and feel fine
          (some say <br>
          not so). I think my old ones are in a box on a shelf somewhere
          if <br>
          anybody wants them.<br>
          Note the O/D pump is a positive displacement pump that will
          continue to <br>
          produce pressure--driven by the full power of the
          engine--unless there <br>
          is a pressure relief mechanism.<br>
          On 8/11/2023 10:34 AM, Hank Leach via Healeys wrote:<br>
          &gt; Guys-this is a very lively topic and one of sometimes
          great mystery <br>
          &gt; and confusion.  The unit is complex but the end result is
          working well <br>
          &gt; or not functioning at all.<br>
          &gt;<br>
          &gt; On the subject of pressure required to operate the shift
          into <br>
          &gt; overdrive there are many schools of thought. Some people
          replace or <br>
          &gt; stretch springs or add washers to increase the pressure
          needed. The <br>
          &gt; health of the 8 springs that keep the unit in direct
          drive is <br>
          &gt; important to keep the clutch from slipping.  The pressure
          supplied to <br>
          &gt; overcome the strength of these 8 spring , and effect
          overdrive, relies <br>
          &gt; on adequate hydraulic pressure. The change from direct to
          overdrive <br>
          &gt; needs to be smooth, not harsh, and if pressures are high
          the unit will <br>
          &gt; snap into and out of OD rather than the smooth
          interchange we are used <br>
          &gt; to while driving.<br>
          &gt;<br>
          &gt; When applied to the Austin Healey 100, the Laycock
          overdrive was <br>
          &gt; initially a 32% reduction unit. It was soon found out in
          these early <br>
          &gt; Warwick cars that 32% was too much reduction.  DHMC
          swapped units <br>
          &gt; three times in the original DMH tour car until they
          finally found a <br>
          &gt; combination that produced the smooth shift and
          complimentary gearing <br>
          &gt; desired.<br>
          &gt;<br>
          &gt; It is difficult, today, to find any information on this
          original 32% <br>
          &gt; gearbox, however if you examine the booklet (attached)
          supplied by <br>
          &gt; Laycock for the early cars, you will notice that the
          casting allowed <br>
          &gt; for a large accumulator piston (seen on p6 in brochure).
          After some <br>
          &gt; research and modified engineering, the company came up
          with this alloy <br>
          &gt; "sleeve" called the piston housing (photo) which
          partially filled the <br>
          &gt; chamber of the original large accumulator casting and
          allowed for a <br>
          &gt; smaller accumulator piston that we see in all the later
          28% reduction <br>
          &gt; units. That size piston, in proper condition, produced
          from 350-450 <br>
          &gt; lbs of needed hydraulic pressure to overcome the springs
          influence.<br>
          &gt;<br>
          &gt; I'm confident that the remark made by Geoff Healey in his
          writings <br>
          &gt; about the early transmissions "harsh shifting" revolved
          around this <br>
          &gt; huge accumulator piston producing too much pressure.
          Additionally, <br>
          &gt; there were three various accumulator springs supplied
          which adjusted <br>
          &gt; the pressure. The early boxes produced about 350lbs and
          the later <br>
          &gt; about 450.<br>
          &gt;<br>
          &gt; Today, Overdrive Spares supplies that sleeve housing with
          only one <br>
          &gt; rubber O-ring as it is basically a filler part and not
          under extreme <br>
          &gt; pressure. The accumulator piston within is under that
          pressure. They <br>
          &gt; supply a modified piston using O-ring technology. So, it
          is not <br>
          &gt; unusual to get good pressures over the normal 450 lbs
          required. If it <br>
          &gt; works well don't fix it.  The only concern is if the
          pressure does not <br>
          &gt; release when overdrive is not called for. A clean unit,
          with proper <br>
          &gt; 30W oil, will allow that to happen. All this some old
          theory and <br>
          &gt; history to ponder. Hank<br>
          &gt;<br>
          Support Team.Net <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
          Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>
          Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys";
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
            moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

          Unsubscribe/Manage: <a

href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/dmw@wirkenphoto.com";
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/dmw@wirkenphoto.com</a><br>

--------------ScotcZieEj49qpVvggBhToX0--

--===============3206846193416999307==