healeys

Re: [Healeys] Plugs

To: Michael Oritt <michael.oritt@gmail.com>, m.g.sharp@sympatico.ca
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Plugs
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2023 09:15:02 -0700
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net

--------------GXFade0e6hgmhdxUiAT9J8S9

Now that I've had my first cup of coffee and am somewhat sentient I
recalled that Pertronix advises /against/ using stranded metal wire
secondaries with its Ignitor units. This made no sense to me because the
coil effectively electronically isolates the primary circuit the Ignitor
controls from the secondary, high voltage circuit (coils are sometimes
used in electrical circuits for this property). But, someone pointed out
the EMI from metal wires could adversely affect the Ignitor as it
employs a Hall Effect sensor to detect the rotation of the distributor
shaft (6-cyl Ignitors have a collar with 6 magnets, the 4-cyl units can
apparently detect the lobes from their shape and don't require the
collar, and there's likely little to no room for one anyway*). IOW, a
strong magnetic field could affect an Ignitor's ability to sense the
magnets or cam lobes. If the Pertronix people--who I've found to be very
knowledgeable and helpful--encountered this just a few times they would
likely issue a broad advisory against it (I suspect 95% plus of their
business is with the hot rod crowd, who likely use suppressor wires
because they're prettier). So, if you use a Pertronix Ignitor, use
non-resistor plugs and have sporadic misfires you could try using
resistor plugs. Offhand, I think most of the plug caps offered by
suppliers have resistors.

* When I first opened the box for my BN2's Ignitor I thought 'Crap, they
forget to send the magnet collar.' Then, I broke down and read the
instructions.

On 3/19/2023 6:52 AM, Michael Oritt wrote:
> "I always thought the resistor plugs were to introduced to suppress
> interference with car radios, which I donâ??t have,"
> They also eliminate your ignition's noise in nearby vehicles.
>
> Best--Michael Oritt
>

> On Sun, Mar 19, 2023 at 8:11â?¯AM m.g.sharp--- via Healeys
> <healeys@autox.team.net> wrote:
>
>     I do exactly what Bob does with my BT7 except I use a non-resistor
>     plug â?? Champion N12YC and 0.028â?? gap.  I too use a Lucas Sports
>     coil.  I always thought the resistor plugs were to introduced to
>     supress interference with car radios, which I donâ??t have, but I am
>     happy to be corrected on that.   I think plugs are unnecessarily
>     changed too frequently. I remove them once in a while (every few
>     years) and clean and check the gaps.  I run them until they shows
>     signs of deterioration.  I have never had a plug fail me in the
>     Healey.
>
>     Mirek

  <head>
  </head>
    Now that I've had my first cup of coffee and am somewhat sentient I
    recalled that Pertronix advises <i>against</i> using stranded metal
[...]
    plug caps offered by suppliers have resistors.<br>
    * When I first opened the box for my BN2's Ignitor I thought 'Crap,
    they forget to send the magnet collar.' Then, I broke down and read
    the instructions.<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAPTa0B4d9zNT-K9RtCorKiYdoL_w4fP5S3PkMRXuPVKiDUtSYA@mail.gmail.com">
            style="color:rgb(34,34,34)">"I always thought the resistor
            plugs were to introduced to suppress interference with car
            radios, which I donâ??t have,"</span><br>

style="color:rgb(34,34,34)">-----------------------------------------------------</span></div>
            style="color:rgb(34,34,34)">They also eliminate your
            ignition's noise in nearby vehicles.</span></div>
            style="color:rgb(34,34,34)"><br>
            style="color:rgb(34,34,34)">Best--Michael Oritt</span></div>
            style="color:rgb(34,34,34)"><br>
          8:11â?¯AM m.g.sharp--- via Healeys &lt;<a
            href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net"; moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                  BT7 except I use a non-resistor plug â?? Champion N12YC
                  and 0.028â?? gap.  I too use a Lucas Sports coil.  I
                  always thought the resistor plugs were to introduced
                  to supress interference with car radios, which I donâ??t
                  have, but I am happy to be corrected on that.   I
                  think plugs are unnecessarily changed too frequently.
                  I remove them once in a while (every few years) and
                  clean and check the gaps.  I run them until they shows
                  signs of deterioration.  I have never had a plug fail
                  me in the Healey.</p>
style="border-right:none;border-bottom:none;border-left:none;border-top:1pt
                    solid rgb(225,225,225);padding:3pt 0cm 0cm">
lang="EN-US">From:</span></b><span
                        lang="EN-US"> Healeys &lt;<a
                          href="mailto:healeys-bounces@autox.team.net";
                          target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">healeys-bounces@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
                        <b>To:</b> <a

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
[...]
                  cause issues. <br>
                  I came across a YouTube video by David Vizard where he
                  claims E3 Diamond 'Split Fire' plugs produced slightly
                  better mileage; yep, E3 makes a plug for Big Healeys
                  (6-cyl only, I think). I've heard rumors that
                  counterfeit NGK plugs are in the market.<br>
                    Lachlan via Healeys wrote:</p>
                      style="font-size:12pt;font-family:&quot;Times New
                      Roman ,serif&quot;,serif">Hereâ??s a can of worms
                      that we havenâ??t delved into for a whileâ?¦.</span></p>
                      style="font-size:12pt;font-family:&quot;Times New
                      Roman ,serif&quot;,serif">So, Iâ??m trying to get
                      all my ducks in a row for a short run abroad. Car
                      is a MkII BT7 with a DW fast road cam, 3 HD6s, big
                      bore 6 branch and 123Ignition plus a so-called
                      Sports Coil.</span></p>
                      style="font-size:12pt;font-family:&quot;Times New
                      Roman ,serif&quot;,serif"> </span></p>
                  <ol style="margin-top:0cm" type="1" start="1">
                    <li class="m_4506245762485897014MsoListParagraph"
                      style="margin-left:0cm"><span
                        style="font-size:12pt;font-family:&quot;Times
                        New Roman ,serif&quot;,serif">I was looking
                        through my library of files on Healey topics and
                        saw that we were all over the place on plug
                        gapsâ?¦..all the way up to 0.035â??. So whatâ??s the
                        opinion there??</span></li>
                    <li class="m_4506245762485897014MsoListParagraph"
                      style="margin-left:0cm"><span
                        style="font-size:12pt;font-family:&quot;Times
                        New Roman ,serif&quot;,serif">And which plug?
                        Seemed to be mostly between NGKâ??s BP6ES &amp;
                        BP5ES. Was a hold-out for their B8EGV 5627</span><span
                        style="font-size:12pt">  but that</span><span
                        style="font-size:12pt;font-family:&quot;Times
                        New Roman ,serif&quot;,serif"> was dismissed
                        fairly vigorously by Jeremy Welch as being way
                        OTT for normal road use.</span></li>
                    <li class="m_4506245762485897014MsoListParagraph"
                      style="margin-left:0cm"><span
                        style="font-size:12pt;font-family:&quot;Times
                        New Roman ,serif&quot;,serif">And, I have 12,000
                        miles+++ as plug replacement mileage so long as
                        they still look and perform OK. Any
thoughts?</span></li>
                  </ol>
                      style="font-size:12pt;font-family:&quot;Times New
                      Roman ,serif&quot;,serif"> </span></p>
                      style="font-size:12pt;font-family:&quot;Times New
                      Roman ,serif&quot;,serif">Thanks, Simon</span></p>
            Support Team.Net <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
              rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
            Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>
            Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys";
              rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>
              rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
              moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
              rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

            Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michael.oritt@gmail.com";
              rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michael.oritt@gmail.com</a><br>

--------------GXFade0e6hgmhdxUiAT9J8S9--

--===============4515976795619479244==