healeys

Re: [Healeys] Renewing the clutch

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Renewing the clutch
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2021 12:02:55 -0800

--------------018797875CEE6945676A652B

Also too, consider replacing the pilot bushing, the release 'bearing'
and the front seal on the gearbox while you're at it. Check side play on
the release bearing fork; you probably won't need to do anything, but
it's a bit of a job to put new bushings in.

On 2/6/2021 11:33 AM, Michael Salter wrote:
> Hi Paul,
> Not really worth the bother ... once you have all that stuff
> disconnected.removed it really is little more work to lift the gearbox
> out entirely.
> A word of caution.
> After encountering clutch shudder more than once after installing a
> new clutch I would strongly recommend getting the flywheel resurfaced.
> It is an inexpensive job to have done at a competent auto machine shop
> and is a lot less work than pulling everything out again.

> On Sat, Feb 6, 2021 at 2:26 PM Paul Leeks <paulleeks909@gmail.com
>
>     Hi chaps
>
>     The clutch on my 100/6 BN4 is starting to slip a bit. So, I am
>     thinking of replacing it.
>
>     The question is ... is it possible/practical to change it in situ
>     (without removing the gearbox and the engine from the car)?
>
>     ie: lift off transmission tunnel, undo and drop propshaft,
>     disconnect gearbox from engine (no overdrive) and move it
>     backwards on a jack, change clutch and put it all back together?
>
>     As always, any advice very gratefully received.
>
>     Many thanks
>
>     Paul Leeks
>     100/6 BN4
>     Lancashire, UK

--------------018797875CEE6945676A652B

  <head>
  </head>
    Also too, consider replacing the pilot bushing, the release
    'bearing' and the front seal on the gearbox while you're at it.
    Check side play on the release bearing fork; you probably won't need
    to do anything, but it's a bit of a job to put new bushings in.<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAB3i7LJSXri+C3+F1wSZkzamr7E2sOzmeX+G35vfSCkunqgPng@mail.gmail.com">
            style="font-family:arial,sans-serif">Hi Paul,</span></div>
            style="font-family:arial,sans-serif">Not really worth the
            bother ... once you have all that stuff disconnected.removed
            it really is little more work to lift the gearbox out
            entirely. <br>
            style="font-family:arial,sans-serif">A word of caution. <br>
            style="font-family:arial,sans-serif">After encountering
            clutch shudder more than once after installing a new clutch
            I would strongly recommend getting the flywheel resurfaced.
            It is an inexpensive job to have done at a competent auto
            machine shop and is a lot less work than pulling everything
            out again.</span></div>
            style="font-family:arial,sans-serif"><br>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small"><span
            style="font-family:arial,sans-serif">M</span><br>
          Paul Leeks &lt;<a href="mailto:paulleeks909@gmail.com";
            moz-do-not-send="true">paulleeks909@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
            The clutch on my 100/6 BN4 is starting to slip a bit. So, I
            am thinking of replacing it.<br>
            The question is ... is it possible/practical to change it in
            situ (without removing the gearbox and the engine from the
            car)?<br>
            ie: lift off transmission tunnel, undo and drop propshaft,
            disconnect gearbox from engine (no overdrive) and move it
            backwards on a jack, change clutch and put it all back
            together?<br>
            As always, any advice very gratefully received.<br>
            Many thanks<br>
            Paul Leeks<br>
            100/6 BN4<br>
            Lancashire, UK</div>