healeys

Re: [Healeys] Water Pump Lubrication

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Water Pump Lubrication
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 07:57:39 -0700

--------------04E48447680ABA1514320480

Looks like this pump might be this one, no?

https://www.ahspares.co.uk/blog/new-premium-austin-healey-water-pumps.aspx?gclid=cjwkcajwvtx0brafeiwagwjyzkhggat161awbd3owzmyt_lkbspqf9lv4agi4cngonk9swgnjnnotroc9fkqavd_bwe

If so, it appears to have sealed bearings, with a spacer in between.
You'd probably want to fill that cavity with grease, but that's just a
guess.  Note when I bought my BJ8 I believe it had a greasing port (not
a zerk, maybe a cup).  I bought 'water pump grease,' which comes in a
tub and is much thicker and tackier than typical greases, and a special
gun--looks like a large metal syringe--to pump the grease into the
pump.   AHS's new 6-cyl pump appears to have a sealed bearing AND a zerk
fitting, which makes me wonder if the zerk is only there to fill a
casting hole?

Bob

On 4/13/2020 3:08 PM, Michael MacLean wrote:
> Here is a picture of the uprated water pump I want to install to my 4
> cylinder build.  As you can see in the picture I have circled the zerk
> fitting for lubrication.  The other circle is around a flush hex plug
> at the top of the pump.  I can see both of these points are in
> different planes.  Does that mean there are two lubrication points?
> How often should the pump be lubricated? Just a few questions before I
> yank the County brand new water pump that was put on during the short
> block build.  Not really a fan of County brand anything.
> Mike MacLean

--------------04E48447680ABA1514320480

  <head>
  </head>
    Looks like this pump might be this one, no?<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="https://www.ahspares.co.uk/blog/new-premium-austin-healey-water-pumps.aspx?gclid=cjwkcajwvtx0brafeiwagwjyzkhggat161awbd3owzmyt_lkbspqf9lv4agi4cngonk9swgnjnnotroc9fkqavd_bwe";>https://www.ahspares.co.uk/blog/new-premium-austin-healey-water-pumps.aspx?gclid=cjwkcajwvtx0brafeiwagwjyzkhggat161awbd3owzmyt_lkbspqf9lv4agi4cngonk9swgnjnnotroc9fkqavd_bwe</a><br>
    If so, it appears to have sealed bearings, with a spacer in
    between.  You'd probably want to fill that cavity with grease, but
    that's just a guess.  Note when I bought my BJ8 I believe it had a
    greasing port (not a zerk, maybe a cup).  I bought 'water pump
    grease,' which comes in a tub and is much thicker and tackier than
    typical greases, and a special gun--looks like a large metal
    syringe--to pump the grease into the pump.   AHS's new 6-cyl pump
    appears to have a sealed bearing AND a zerk fitting, which makes me
    wonder if the zerk is only there to fill a casting hole?<br>
    Bob<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="https://www.ahspares.co.uk/blog/new-premium-austin-healey-water-pumps.aspx?gclid=cjwkcajwvtx0brafeiwagwjyzkhggat161awbd3owzmyt_lkbspqf9lv4agi4cngonk9swgnjnnotroc9fkqavd_bwe";>https://www.ahspares.co.uk/blog/new-premium-austin-healey-water-pumps.aspx?gclid=cjwkcajwvtx0brafeiwagwjyzkhggat161awbd3owzmyt_lkbspqf9lv4agi4cngonk9swgnjnnotroc9fkqavd_bwe</a><br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:1455066914.5180036.1586815717791@mail.yahoo.com">
      Here is a picture of the uprated water pump I want to install to
      my 4 cylinder build.  As you can see in the picture I have circled
      the zerk fitting for lubrication.  The other circle is around a
      flush hex plug at the top of the pump.  I can see both of these
      points are in different planes.  Does that mean there are two
      lubrication points?  How often should the pump be lubricated?
      Just a few questions before I yank the County brand new water pump
      that was put on during the short block build.  Not really a fan of
      County brand anything.
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">
</pre>

--------------04E48447680ABA1514320480--