healeys

Re: [Healeys] Water Pump Lubrication

To: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Water Pump Lubrication
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 16:17:10 -0700
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net

--------------396935DDE930FD9D28BDAFC4

Michael,

Looks like a ceramic-type seal; what am I missing?

Bob

On 4/14/2020 9:57 AM, Michael Salter wrote:
> It will be interesting to see how they last. From what I can see they
> seem to have a steel bodied seal pressed into the cast iron housing
> without any seal.
> I have found that procedure to be the cause of leakage on previous repops.
> I do hope that they have addressed that issue.

> On Tue, Apr 14, 2020, 11:24 AM Bob Spidell, <bspidell@comcast.net
>
>     Looks like this pump might be this one, no?
>

> https://www.ahspares.co.uk/blog/new-premium-austin-healey-water-pumps.aspx?gclid=cjwkcajwvtx0brafeiwagwjyzkhggat161awbd3owzmyt_lkbspqf9lv4agi4cngonk9swgnjnnotroc9fkqavd_bwe
>
>     If so, it appears to have sealed bearings, with a spacer in
>     between.  You'd probably want to fill that cavity with grease, but
>     that's just a guess.  Note when I bought my BJ8 I believe it had a
>     greasing port (not a zerk, maybe a cup). I bought 'water pump
>     grease,' which comes in a tub and is much thicker and tackier than
>     typical greases, and a special gun--looks like a large metal
>     syringe--to pump the grease into the pump.   AHS's new 6-cyl pump
>     appears to have a sealed bearing AND a zerk fitting, which makes
>     me wonder if the zerk is only there to fill a casting hole?
>
>     Bob
>

> https://www.ahspares.co.uk/blog/new-premium-austin-healey-water-pumps.aspx?gclid=cjwkcajwvtx0brafeiwagwjyzkhggat161awbd3owzmyt_lkbspqf9lv4agi4cngonk9swgnjnnotroc9fkqavd_bwe
>
>     On 4/13/2020 3:08 PM, Michael MacLean wrote:
>>     Here is a picture of the uprated water pump I want to install to
>>     my 4 cylinder build.  As you can see in the picture I have
>>     circled the zerk fitting for lubrication.  The other circle is
>>     around a flush hex plug at the top of the pump.  I can see both
>>     of these points are in different planes.  Does that mean there
>>     are two lubrication points?  How often should the pump be
>>     lubricated?  Just a few questions before I yank the County brand
>>     new water pump that was put on during the short block build.  Not
>>     really a fan of County brand anything.
>>     Mike MacLean

--------------396935DDE930FD9D28BDAFC4

  <head>
  </head>
    Michael,<br>
    Looks like a ceramic-type seal; what am I missing?<br>
    Bob<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAB3i7LKGSqtmRjBtB7+P=H7PVPXj9Af+TFNRjzpXL3ykCpkqHA@mail.gmail.com">
        what I can see they seem to have a steel bodied seal pressed
        into the cast iron housing without any seal.
          leakage on previous repops.</div>
          Bob Spidell, &lt;<a href="mailto:bspidell@comcast.net";
            moz-do-not-send="true">bspidell@comcast.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
          .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
            <a
href="https://www.ahspares.co.uk/blog/new-premium-austin-healey-water-pumps.aspx?gclid=cjwkcajwvtx0brafeiwagwjyzkhggat161awbd3owzmyt_lkbspqf9lv4agi4cngonk9swgnjnnotroc9fkqavd_bwe";
              target="_blank" rel="noreferrer"
moz-do-not-send="true">https://www.ahspares.co.uk/blog/new-premium-austin-healey-water-pumps.aspx?gclid=cjwkcajwvtx0brafeiwagwjyzkhggat161awbd3owzmyt_lkbspqf9lv4agi4cngonk9swgnjnnotroc9fkqavd_bwe</a><br>
            If so, it appears to have sealed bearings, with a spacer in
            between.  You'd probably want to fill that cavity with
            grease, but that's just a guess.  Note when I bought my BJ8
            I believe it had a greasing port (not a zerk, maybe a cup).
            I bought 'water pump grease,' which comes in a tub and is
            much thicker and tackier than typical greases, and a special
            gun--looks like a large metal syringe--to pump the grease
            into the pump.   AHS's new 6-cyl pump appears to have a
            sealed bearing AND a zerk fitting, which makes me wonder if
            the zerk is only there to fill a casting hole?<br>
            Bob<br>
[...]

id="m_-4935831481338208182yMail_cursorElementTracker_1586815590082">Mike
                MacLean</div>

--------------396935DDE930FD9D28BDAFC4--

--===============1896023914691565853==