healeys

Re: [Healeys] Electric fan

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Electric fan
From: Kees Oudesluijs <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 20:28:14 +0100
Best is to remove the fixed fan and replace it with a more modern type
thermo-switch controlled electric fan, after market or from some scrap
car. There used to be Kenlowe but there are others in the market now e.g
Aeroline, Davies Graig, several USA suppliers. Go for one with a ring
around the blades or at least fitted with a decent cowl and fit it as
close as safely possible to the radiator core, some are tied up to the
core, others use brackets, purposely made or cobbled up. The trick is to
let as little air escape and draw/push as much air through the radiator
core. I prefer fitment as a puller behind the radiator but a pusher in
front of the radiator should work just as well. Ca. 120W will be fine.
Make sure you generator will be able to cope. The usual mid-late 60's
alternator will deliver around 35A and will do fine.

The size of the fan should not be to big, fan and/or cowl should fit the
core and not partially cover the top or bottom tank.

You can fit a T-piece with an M22 thread in the top radiator hose or you
can have a boss with M22 thread soldered in the top tank of the
radiator. You will also have to fit an overflow tank connected up with
the overflow pipe of the radiator under the cap. The connecting hose
should end up at the bottom of the overflow tank and the seal between
radiator cap and radiator neck should be absolutely airtight so it can
suck back the coolant that overflowed into the tank. The radiator has to
be filled up to the top to avoid air in the system.

There are thousands of different thermo-switches available for modern
cars, most have a M22 thread. The cut in temperature should be around
95-98 degrees C or even a bit higher, depending on the type of coolant
and the max. pressure you run in your cooling system, see cap. 6 or 7psi
should be safe enough. Cut out temperature should be around 5-10 degrees
above the opening temperature of the sleeved thermostat. E.g If you have
an 82 degrees C sleeved thermostat the thermo-switch should cut out at
around 88 degrees C, if you use an 86 degrees thermostat the cut out
temperature should be around 92 degrees C. You can also use an
adjustable thermo-switch but I am not sure if you can both regulate the
cut in and cut out temperature. I have always used fixed temperature
thermo-switches.

Always fit a warning light that lights up when the fan is in operation
and fit an override switch on the dash.

86 degrees sounds like a highish opening temperature and your gauge will
read above the normal level, but the engine will run a bit more
efficient and the cooling capacity will be increased because of the
larger delta T.

Kees Oudesluijs