healeys

Re: [Healeys] Electric fan

To: s.hutchings@rogers.com, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Electric fan
From: warthodson--- via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 17:54:50 +0000 (UTC)

------=_Part_3080025_1966374639.1572371690394

Stephen,Before adding an electric fan, here are a few things to consider:I =
have a 6 bladed fan that was a factory option. It has made a measurable dif=
ference on my car. Many of the usual suppliers offer it. Some of these repr=
os. have a reputation for fatigue cracking with disastrous results. I have =
had mine for 8-10 years & I inspect it annually. No problem so far.Do you h=
ave an original type thermostat that has a moving sleeve to block the bypas=
s port when the t'stat reaches the operating temp? If not, you are loosing =
some of the radiator's efficiency.=C2=A0Do you have the original air baffle=
s installed?=C2=A0Using coolant mix in the summer with 15-25% antifreeze wi=
ll improve the heat transfer efficiency of your cooling system measurably w=
hen compared to a 50% or higher mix.=C2=A0Some antifreeze is necessary for =
water pump lubrication. I drain the 50% solution into Jugs in the spring & =
put a 20% solution in. I save the 50% solution & reverse the process in the=
 fall.=C2=A0Have you considered having your radiator re-cored with a more e=
fficient core?
Is your electric system capable of the increased load of the electric fan?
Depending upon your definition of practical, I assumed it meant easy &/or i=
nexpensive, there are more things that can be done to improve the cooling s=
ystem efficiency.
Gary Hodson