healeys

Re: Opinons requested.....BJ7 engine rebuild upgrades

To: Steve Thomton <scthomton@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Opinons requested.....BJ7 engine rebuild upgrades
From: bn1@pacbell.net
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 19:59:10 -0700
Steve Thomton wrote:

>I'm requesting opinions from those who know, or who care to comment (please no
>flaming on the departure from stock.....you know Donald would have changed
>lots of stuff by now)........  I'm planning on an engine rebuild in the near
>future and would like to make sure I include the appropriate
>upgrades....originality is not the issue.
>
>  With the goal of having a 100K mile MECHANICALLY reliable engine (okay maybe
>that's a stretch), here's the upgrade scenario I'm considering for my 3 liter
>BJ7:
>
>  7- Valves/seals for unleaded gas, also bronze valve guides..

Steve, you might want to check the archives before installing bronze
guides.  There you'll find a blog by Michael Salter.  That also happened
to me!  Fortunately, I had just put Red Car to bed and the engine was
off when the guides seized so no damage was done.  My mechanic, Eric
Grunden owner of Absolutely British, who had done the work, said never
again and went back to the old style cast iron ones.  I realize we're
talking 4-bangers here, but a cast iron head should expand and contract
the same be it a 6 or a 4-banger.

>  10- Flywheel lightened and balanced

I would highly recommend Bill Bolton for your flywheel.  He can be
reached at :  tricarb@aol.com.  I have his 23#er in my M spec BN1 and
love it!

Bill Barnett
"53 BN1 #663