healeys

Re: A.H. EFI conversion... question to gauge interest

To: Patton Dickson <57healey@gmail.com>,
Subject: Re: A.H. EFI conversion... question to gauge interest
From: Steve Thomton <scthomton@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 09:01:38 -0800 (PST)
Patton,
  I'll try to answer your questions:
  1) ease of installation  .... that depends on your skills, but so far I've
done the installation stuff while Ric (the gentleman doing the design work) has
done the R&D..my skills maybe a bit above average, but I'm no expert.
  2) ability to return the car to stock.....absolutely, one of my requirements
  3) improvements over stock.....nothing has been measured at this point, we're
not there yet....but, it starts faster (because the injectors fire immediately
when the starter is pushed, unlike the SU's which need some vacuum to pull and
atomize fuel before combustion) ... and throttle response is better (my
persception) which is logical because, again, when you open the throttle with
the SUs they provide more fuel mechanically as they respond to the drop in
vacuum in the manifold (my understanding) and the injectors sense a drop in
manifold vacuum and immediately fire more fuel.
  4) how much....don't know yet, but Ric's thinking it would be under a $1,000
for the whole thing.
  5) what would be in the kit.....well that's a bit ehead of where Ric is on
this...but, he's thinking of a whole kit (all enclusive), however, I suspect it
could be less (like a Smitty's kit) where he provides the computer and main
stuff and you get the easy stuff locally.  I've just gone down to my local NAPA
or Autozone for the stuff I've needed....all easily available GM stuff.  This
would be Ric's call and market requirements I suppose.

  Cheers,
  Steve

Patton Dickson <57healey@gmail.com> wrote:
  I have a passing interest (i.e. no money right now) in such a system
and had looked at the MegaSquirt system as a couple of TR6 guys have
built systems using this. The big questions I would have is

1. Realitive ease of installation
2. Ability to take to car back to original if wanted/needed
3. What kind of measurabile improvements are being realized over a
well tuned stock setup.
4. How much?
5. Would it be a full kit, plans and you get your own parts, or
something in between

--
Patton Dickson - '57 A-H 100-Six
Homepage - http://Austin-Healeys.com/

Looking for a vendor, use "The Monster List"
http://www.putzl.com/monster/vendors.html

 Yahoo! Autos. Looking for a sweet ride? Get pricing, reviews, & more on new
and used cars.