healeys

A.H. EFI conversion... question to gauge interest

To: List Healey <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: A.H. EFI conversion... question to gauge interest
From: Steve Thomton <scthomton@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 07:31:13 -0800 (PST)
Question of interest:  I'm working with a gentleman to convert my BJ7 to
electronic fuel injection (EFI).  The goal is to have the conversion
transparent to the casual observer, i.e. the SU's will still be in place.  The
dampers are removed from the SUs so they are acting only as a throttle body for
the injectors that are mouned in a block between the SU's and the manifold.
The computer is a readily available GM unit...this keeps the price down.  We
have my Healey running on the EFI quite nicely, but there is more to do.

  He (the technical brains of the conversion...not me) is wondering if there is
interest in him packaging a kit for this conversion.

  Why bother?  Well, if you live or travel to various high (or low) altitudes
EFI is great because it adjusts for altitude (manifold atmospheric pressure).
It also reads and adjusts to a number of factors, i.e. engine temp., engine
rpm, timing, air/fuel ratio (O2 sensor)...... so the result is a very user
friendly engine management package that doesn't need tuning to conditions.  As
I said, I'm not the expert and I've probably already exceeded my conversational
knowledge level, so please don't ask any tough technical questions.  Also, the
reliability of EFI is great, the engine really starts fast, and the throttle
response is improved.  The parts are all easily available mainstream GM parts
so price is kept reasonable.

  I'm not selling these.....just curious as to whether there is any general
interest in such a package.

  Steve Thomton
  Larkspur, CO
  1963 BJ7