healeys

Re: I Don't understand the "New" front shocks

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: I Don't understand the "New" front shocks
From: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:13:26 -0500
Jack, and others.
        I'm on the digest, so forgive the delay.
        The current NEW shocks provided by Moss, and EVERYONE else selling NEW
shocks, are indeed using the MGB body.
        Here's some history. The big Healeys, MGAs and MGBs can all use the
same
shock body. (The arms and valves are different) The MGB, however has room
for what I call a turret within the body work. Healeys and As do not. The
earliest Bs did not have this turret. The turret is a "good idea" insofar
as it provides an air chamber for oil to expand as it heats during
operation. If it can fit in your car, and you are willing to have an
un-original looking shock, it would be an "upgrade" to have the air
chamber. Many racers already do this modification on Healeys and As. I
suppose the NEW shocks are using B bodies for economy.
        Regardless, I highly recommend rebuilt shock absorbers, which can be
purchased from several places. I'm not one to blow my own horn, but the new
shocks have adopted some of our improvements in adding bearings (though not
our materials), but unfortunately, they still have the older ineffective
shaft seals.
        Someone asked if the enlarged holes can be repaired in the rebuilding
process. Yes. We usually save that work for the slower winter time, and it
does cost extra.
        While we're on this subject, we are seeking cores. Some of our larger
vendors are not getting cores back which hurts everyone. Come on, and empty
your garages!
        Peter C.