healeys

Re: front license plates

To: rahosmer@citlink.net, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: front license plates
From: STEV0001@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:06:49 EDT
Good Morning:

    Having always been a (car) freak, I've mostly had  cars that I did not
want a front license plate on for aesthetic reasons.   I've been driving in CA
all of my life and have NEVER been stopped or written up  for no front plate.
Once when crossing the border from Tijuana many years  ago, the customs agent
mentioned the missing plate but took no further  action.

    When I bought my new '06' in April, the dealership  made me sign a waiver
stating that I was accepting the car (530i) without a  front license plate
bracket installed.  They indicated that in our  post-9/11 world (that seems to
be the excuse for everything these days),  officers are now enforcing the front
license plate regulations because it  increases the opportunities to identify
a particular car.  Also, I suspect  the increase in red light enforcement
cameras may also be a ($$$)  motivator.

    Dick:  I'm sure you are aware of this but the  California DMV is now
making the year of manufacture (YOM) plates for the  yellow background with
black
lettering.  I don't know what years that  covers because I only remember the
black and then blue plates when I was growing  up.  Though you would likely be
unable to get your specific letter/number  combo, at least you'd have matching
YOM plates...just a thought.  If you  are looking for an incredible plate
restorer, I can refer you to the one I used  back east for my 69 280se cabrio.
He's really an artist.  And given  what I've seen in pictures of some of the
plates he's restored, I wouldn't be  surprised if he could recreate one for you
from scratch.  HMMMMMMM...I've  always wondered where these plate restorers
originally learned so much about  license plates...

Steve  G
Benicia, CA

BJ8 #43007, 79 MGB L/E