healeys

Re: front license plates

To: Richard Hosmer <rahosmer@citlink.net>
Subject: Re: front license plates
From: bn1@pacbell.net
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 07:50:34 -0700
Richard Hosmer wrote:

>Listers,
>
>While we are on license plates, a different angle: Has anyone had any
>experience with:
>
>(a) Getting a replacement plate made?
>
>(b) Getting the California DMV to accept same?
>
>I HAVE my original black on yellow REAR plate, which is the important one
>with the proof of registration stickers, etc., but lack the front one. Just
>on the 1 in 10,000,000 chance that there is a plate collector lurking, it's
>XNP801.   :-)
>
>Now that I'm driving the car again. I'm toying with the idea of trying to
>return it to its original licensing.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Dick Hosmer
>1962 BT718556

Good morning Dick,

It's hard to tell from your email, but I'm assuming that you just have
the original plate and are running  newer ones with current
registration.  You're lucky, '62 is the last year you can do it in CA.

I bought my pair from a dealer in Azusa, so they were both original '51
bases with the metal '53 renewal tags.  I then had them restored.  I
know you can get exact duplicates made but they will be aluminum and not
steel.  I had heard horror stories about the DMV putting a magnet on
them but that was not done in my case.  In fact, they didn't even pay
attention to the front plate, only the rear one with the renewal tag.

You're going to be in for a lot of "fun".  Most people at any CA DMV
don't have a clue of what to do with YOM plates.  I found that me
knowing more about it than they did and having the required form made it
a lot easier.  They will photocopy the rear plate with sticker to send
to Sacramento.

First of all, make an appointment at the DMV.  That will save you a lot
of time.  Take both sets of plates, your current registration and the
completed form with you.  In your case, you'll also need the stick-on
'62 sticker if it's not already on the plate you have.  (They come up on
eBay from time to time.)  I'm enclosing the form for you and they do
accept copies.

If  you want your rear original restored, I can recommend a gentleman in
GA who does outstanding work.  However his wife of many years recently
died so I don't know what his current turn-around time would be.

Good luck and email me with any questions,

Bill Barnett
'53 BN1 #663

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/bmp which had a name of Reg
352  (Rev 9-94) (Large).bmp]