Re: Geez! illegal at SCCA National Tour

To: "Arsenio Locsin" <TheFlashman1@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Geez! illegal at SCCA National Tour
From: "Byron Short" <bshort@AFSinc.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 11:57:19 -0700
Hey Arsenio,

I'm catching up on a lot of old e-mails, so forgive the late
replies...there will be several over the next day or two.

The rules definitely allow you to run GEEZ during
competition at any event you choose including National Tours
or even the National Championship event.  GEEZ does not
alter the vehicle's performance in any way.  It also doesn't
alter your performance while you are on course.  It helps
you by teaching you what you can do better later.  Learning
is not illegal.

Historically, GEEZ (and G.Analysts before them) have been
handled as just a gage.  Stock specifically allows you to
add gages which have no impact in performance.  The prepared
rules DO have a specific rule about data acquisition type
devices, which is intended to insure that da devices don't
begin driving the car for the driver (like in F1, where
traction and yaw control are largely in the hands of the
computer).  The rule in Prepared gives a short list of
acceptable DA devices, and the G-Cube is on the list.  So
SCCA recognizes the device, knows what it is, and has
approved it in the only category that once handled it as a
potential problem.

This was never an issue in stock/SP because any non-stock
device that actively handled traction or vehicle handling
would be illegal...but that's not the case in prepared, so
the rule was put specifically into that category.  I was on
the SEB when this was done, btw, about 3 years prior to GEEZ
ever existing and 6 years prior to the G-Cube.  Funny now
that the issue gets raised regarding my own product!

And yes, to re-post what Mark Sipe said about contingency,
we WILL be offering contingency once again at Nationals.
Look for the details of the program in your Nationals
confirmation mailing later this month, as well as in the
inside of the Driver Information Manual at Nationals.  More
on Nationals later...cool stuff happening with GEEZ
there....

--Byron

Arsenio Locsin wrote:

> I admit that I have not read the rule book quite carefully but someone told
> me that using any data gathering devices, such as the Geez, is illegal at
> National events. Can someone point me to the specific rule that makes data
> gathering devices illegal at National events?
>
> If this rule is true, then folks with on board video cameras should have
> been illegal.
>
> Arsenio Locsin

///
///  geez@autox.team.net mailing list