Heads Up: Handspring Visor

To: geez@autox.team.net
Subject: Heads Up: Handspring Visor
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 11:17:13 -0500
I just got a question asking about the Handspring Visor, which is a
PalmOS platform.  Handspring was formed by the originators of the Palm;
when Palm Computing was bought by USRobotics (which was then bought by
3Com), the founders left and formed their own company, Handspring.

See http://www.handspring.com/ for details.  The Visor and Visor
Deluxe looks like great little devices -- they're basically just like a
Palm, but have some cool enhancements (notably faster HotSync via USB,
and the Springboard plug-in modules), and they're less expensive.  They
should work fine for G-Cube use.

HOWEVER -- currently, Handspring doesn't list a cable that we could use
to plug into the G-Cube's power module.  They prefer to use a USB
connection for HotSync operations, though they offer a serial connection
for machines that can't do USB yet (older machines, or anything running
Windows NT).

But the serial connection is only offered with the full cradle, not just
as a cable.  This might be somewhat awkward to mount in one's car.  So
at the moment, it doesn't look like Handspring offers what we need just
yet.  It may be that by the time this stuff is actually available
(coming soon to a store near you!), there will be a serial cable.

Just thought I've give that little heads up.  There are also other
PalmOS platforms that may work, but my favorite for dedicated G-Cube
use is still the Palm IIIe.  For general use, my favorite is the Palm
Vx, though I'm interested in playing with a Visor Deluxe.

Mark