fot

[Fot] Crown and pinion gear break in

Subject: [Fot] Crown and pinion gear break in
From: Bill at ponostyle.com (Bill)
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 07:22:37 -0700
References: <7FAC951C-9CE7-49E5-8DCA-37BDD2E7B8E6@icloud.com> <1425223651.1077147502.1536137279966.JavaMail.zimbra@telenet.be> <1518278895.1077153139.1536137336417.JavaMail.zimbra@telenet.be> <C32F1C79-7520-43DA-8280-01E2EAB5C50A@ponostyle.com> <2031959496.408884.1536237686897@mail.yahoo.com> <AE6D512D-2CF2-42AB-BA52-9B1F9F5065C3@icloud.com> <520565677.1085482.1536327452002@mail.yahoo.com> <CABFvdWsbXWYtGnNyspFni8QcX78LjRtr+iKcLy1Ypv7f0QaYkQ@mail.gmail.com> <2A24A582-733E-4A3B-ABFA-F13D637C5F4A@gmail.com> <001a01d448d0$8da53940$a8efabc0$@gmail.com> <371023649.2556002.1536609331035@mail.yahoo.com>
Very pretty, too bad I don?t have a use for them.

I came to the slow realization in reading all this that I?ve never bought a new
set of gears. Everything I have is used but good. I?ve changed out gears in TR
diffs many times, but always with the same old stuff. I don?t have any special
tools, I?ve just used the tooth pattern and backlash ass a guide. I probably
should up my game, but it?s worked fine so far.

Peyote let go with a bang last weekend, last race, last day of the Columbia
River Classic. Ran well on Saturday, didn?t feel quite right on Sunday, and
when I checked the timing it was jumping around. I assumed my timing light was
crap (it is) and the timing was proper whenever it settled. Engine sounded good
in the pits, and it was still competitive.

Then, near the end of the back straight, BAM. Stuffed the clutch in and coasted
through the turns, onto the exit road, through the hot pits and off to the
side. Walk of shame back to my pit.

The jumpy timing source was obvious when I started tearing things down?a
distributor full of aluminum shavings. Typical mallory problem. When the
advance weight retainer lets go the weights gouge the distributor body and
bounce all over the place. With the engine not right I was pushing hard when I
should have been loading it up to head home. Dumb. #3 rod bearing stuck and
broke off the cap, havoc ensued. At least it didn?t ventilate the block, and
the crank might be salvageable. Tony Garmey says there?s a company he?s used
that does Ion Plasma welding to redress journals to a better surface finish
than new. That would be nice, it?s a good steel crank and everything else
(other than the rod and probably the piston) looks fine. At least I was quick
on the clutch and kill switch and didn?t hammer things for long. The piston top
has a clear imprint of the combustion chamber. I?d guess it might be a tad
shorter than spec.

Oh well, I was tired of working on my motor home restoration anyway.