Re: [Roadsters] off topic - 4-post lifts

To: <boakes@gmail.com>, "Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] off topic - 4-post lifts
From: "Thomas Thompson" <tommy@dcwisp.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 07:37:33 -0700
I have two four post lifts in my shop, both high quality, well-made units by
Stinger (Now Stinger by AXE). The first was purchased in '97 in McPherson,
KS, and has black posts with red ramps, and stainless drive-on ramps. The
second was purchased three years ago from the same company, which changed
hands and is in Council Grove, KS. They now have a different lock design.
They are now blue, but the owner powder-coated them black/red for me to
match the other unit for little charge. The orginal holds 6K pounds, the new
one 7K. I put a 12 foot ceiling in my shop. It has 8 foot door holes, but 10
foot doors, so the door opener units are high enough that I can store my
roadster and another car of the same height at the highest level with the
tops up (ceiling/door unit height is a very important consideration if
you're building a new shop--the units will fit easily under an 8 foot
ceiling, but you'll have to use a roller stool or creeper to work under a
car, and you'll be limited as to what cars will fit over/under the lift).
I live in Oregon, and both were shipped to loading docks, because my
driveway has a hairpin that won't handle a tractor trailer. I hauled them to
my house piece by piece, and assembled them with one other person helping.
The ramps weigh 300# each, so it may take 3 people to lift them in place.
There are many units available. I researched them extensively and found the
Stingers to be more expensive, but they are solid, and the old one still
functions like it was new 16 years later.
Good luck!
Tom