Re: [Roadsters] Removing Starter

To: "Shayna & Jim Powell" <jishpo@yahoo.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Removing Starter
From: "Gary and Cindy Ault" <aultgc@att.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 20:18:35 -0600
Jim,

Please elaborate on "no power".  Does that mean no lights and no horn?  If
so, and the fuses are intact, then the ammeter could be a problem.  Under
those circumstances, don't jump to a conclusion that the starter needs
replacement.

Pulling the starter is a bit of a bitch.  As Eric said, the gusset or splash
shield needs to be out of the way or the job is impossible with the engine
in the car.  Note that, when you reassemble, there is a short ground strap
which goes from the lower starter mounting bolt to the frame.  There is a
captive nut in the frame to which the strap bolts.  I think is has a 6mm x
1.0 thread, but try some bolts first to make sure.

Gary