Re: [Roadsters] stuck drums

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] stuck drums
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus P (AS)" <Fergus.OFarrell@ngc.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 07:42:48 -0500
Gordon wrote:  Re: [Roadsters] stuck drums
I ran into this a number of years ago and couldn't get it unstuck. Then
a friend suggested ...pouring some liquid between the drum and backing
plate. After marinating for a day or two, smacking the axle straight
down on the studs popped the drum right off.  Unfortunately I can't
remember what the liquid was. I keep thinking it was ammonia, but I'm
not sure.

I suspect it was vinegar (aka: acetic acid), ya know, the same thing
used to un-gunk the built up minerals in your coffee maker, and
showerhead.  I shy away from all chemical-speak (got thru chem class,
but swore I'd never re-visit that subject), but the oxidation of
aluminum/steel dissimilar metals mix has me betting it was that.

Along those lines, that CLR (calcium, lime, rust) cleaner product may be
one to try, although Andy's suggestion of really good alignment and a
BFH has a lot of merit as well.

Fergus O
69 2000 (made a plaster splash of the Ford emblem on my kluge grille,
buying casting resin today, so hopefully will have another "unique
detail" soon)