Re: [Roadsters] L (?) series clutch on U20?

To: Datsun Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] L (?) series clutch on U20?
From: Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 10:33:45 -0500
If the friction surface on his flywheel is 8 inches across he needs
another pressure plate and disk. There are (I think) three friction
surface diameters for L/Z series Datsuns with the same flywheel
overall/ring gear diameter. The Roadsters and 4-clynder sedans use the
same diameter pressure plates and disks but different flywheels.

The Roadsters and L-4 sedans used 200mm while the L-6 (Z & 810) used
225mm and 240mm (Z 2 +2, I think). IIRC, most of the pickups used the
240mm units along with big heavy flywheels and low (mid 4.something to
5.something) rear gears.

The heavy duty Roadster pressure plate, commonly referred as the 20111
(the last 5 numbers in the part number), has long been used on the
L-4s that use the 200mm flywheel. It's much stiffer than the OEM 510
PP and somewhat more so than the OEM roadster unit. The clamping
pressures are available but I don't know them off the top of my head.
You'll really give your left leg a workout using the 20111 in either a
roadster or 510. At the other extreme the OEM 510 PP was good for
maybe 30K miles of "normal driving" in a 510.

If you decide to order the "heavy duty" unit from anyone including a
dealer check the number of rivets on the tabs holding the assembly
together. True 20111 units will have three rivets on each tab. If it
only has two it's not a real (20111) pressure plate. I'm not sure how
many, if any, of the 20111s are still available. I picked up a couple
along with a bunch of other stuff in the early '90s anticpating
building up a couple of 510s. I'm finally getting around to using some
of this stuff.

Ron