Re: [Roadsters] OT: vintage pics for aircraft buffs

To: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Fergus.OFarrell@ngc.com>,
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] OT: vintage pics for aircraft buffs
From: "Bubba" <bubwin@mts.net>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 10:30:51 -0500
My dad had a cousin in the USAF.  Although they knew of each other,it wasn't
until about 8 years ago that my dad finally tracked him down.  They spoke on
the phone, and e-mailed regularly, and in 2003, my parents were invited to
visit, and drove down from Winnipeg, Manitoba to Oregon, where cousin George
lived.  George reminisced about his career, (WWII 2.5 kills, and Korea 8
kills included) and brought out all his log books.  If I recall, George had
some 25,000 + hours flying in over 225 different aircraft.

At one point George went on an exchange with the US Navy, flying off a
Carrier, and apparently ticked off the Navy pilots, by having over 200
landings over 6 or so months, and catching the 3rd wire on every one of
them.  A replica of his F86 Sabre is on a pedestal at the US Air Base in
Spain, where he was Squadron Commander at one time.  Lack of a University
degree kept him out of the Space Program.

Long story short, I love to see the F86's.  The attached link takes you to a
pic of his plane, where the drawing shows all 8 kills, and the photo at the
bottom was taken when he had 4.  The 3 yellow stripes in front of the
cockpit designated him as the Squadron Commander.  George is still with us
and is in his late 80's.

Bob Winslade
1966-1600 Missy
1967-1600 Bender