[Fwd: Re: VERY squeaky breaks]

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fwd: Re: VERY squeaky breaks]
From: Durf & Sue Hyson <dhyson@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 13:59:50 -0400
I find what you have done to be a very clever solution although I am not
sure I would accept the trade off it implies.Using what is essentially a
lubricant on the friction face of the pad logically would reduce the
grip of the pad and therefore the vibration that creates the noise. On
the other hand, to achieve the same deceleration rate as the car was
capable of before you lubed the pads will take more pedal pressure than
before. I don't know how much more pressure it will take than before to
generate the same stopping power but it will have to be enough to
overcome the lubricant.
I agree with you on not using the kind of goop that will bond the pins
in. I have never used it in an application like that but I have taken
apart a couple of cars that have used it . Not fun. Ironically, the best
solution comes right from Nissan. Because they lingered in the solid
rotor disc brake stuff longer than most car makers they were caught out
when the non asbestos era began. In order to stop the squealing they
came up with a substance called PVC grease It is a slightly soupy copper
colored material that resembles Never Seize. It's expensive ($35 for a
can that will last you and 2 or 3 of your friends a lifetime or 2) but
keeps forever. The trick is to buy a can and split it with a couple of
your roadster buddies. It is easy to use and can be used as a general
brake lube. Used according to the directions it will do the trick. One
note : if you still have the original SS pad shims clean them up till
they shine with an SOS pad and put a little PVC grease on both sides of
the shim. If the shims are gone, put the grease on the back of the pads
where they contact the pistons.
Hope this helps quiet the neighbor hood !

Thanks,
Durf