Follow-up, alleged rim crack, weekend projects

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Follow-up, alleged rim crack, weekend projects
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Fergus.OFarrell@ngc.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 07:29:02 -0700
So, I went back to the tire place and had them remove the tire.  I had
read on the label of the fix-a-flat to "inform tire removal personnel of
use of this product before removing tire", which I didn't think much of
but I did, and they were greatful.  I thought that stuff was a mix that
turned to solid foam, but it stays liquid, and is quite nasty to the
skin I am told.
It turns out there is no visible crack, just a single inbd-to-outbd mark
on the rim in the indicated area.  The mark looks like it would polish
out it is so minor.  They marked a 3+ inch (radial) area on the rim as
leaking, and the mark seen inside is ~ 3/8" long, near the rim center
(inbd/outbd), somewhat in the middle of the 3" marked area.
I did notice that the inner bead surface is kinda bent outward, not
impact-dinged, just at a flared out angle compared to the rest of the
rim.
I suspect that what I am dealing with is tire store bone-heads, and the
tire/rim interface on the backside is where the leak is / was occuring.
I have compiled pics but not available till tomorrow.

On the other hand, I de-rusted my side marker and front parking lite
buckets this weekend. Sand paper taped to the end of a 1/4" dowel,
chucked up in a cordless screwdriver works great.  Replaced the springs
underneath the phenolic bases, that keep the base in contact with the
bulb.  (that refreshed spring tension should be good for +1-2 hp right?)
Still not completely re-asembled, as the last one has to be cleaned
while on the car (due to last weeks' burnt wiring repair), which is more
of a lesson in patience and lighting than benchwork.
Getting' there but by bit,
Fergus O, 69 2000, HB,CA