Re: Dashboard electrical issue

To: jerryvv@alltel.net, mjb@autox.team.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dashboard electrical issue
From: Pat Horne <pjhorne@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 08:17:23 -0500
There is one problem (that I found with the color drawing on 311s, the
wire from the engine temp sender to the cluster is missing!. For this
car, since you are having trouble with the temp gauge, go with the black
and white diagram.

I agree with Richard. dielectric grease works great on connectors.
Dielectric grease can be found at Radio shack, most auto parts houses,
and electrical supply houses. I prefer the electrical supply house
grease as it is a bit thicker than the others.

One other thing I didn't say is that my cars are 67.5s, so the plugs on
the later cars are not on mine, so I didn't cover them.

Peace,
Pat

Richard Brown wrote:

>Good morning,
>
>You can get a great color wiring diagram here.
>
> http://www.311s.org/tech/electrical/wiring.html
>
>Reading through the Electrical trouble shooting section is helpful.  On the
>68 the cluster everything but the amp gauge plugs into the main harness.
>Maybe this is disconnected.  Removing  the padded cover  under the steering
>column makes it easier to see.  The fuel and temp gauges plug into a
>regulator that is on the side of the steering column, under the dash. Make
>sure the two wires are pushed on good.
>
>Something I learned recently  when working with electrical connection  is to
>keep a tube of dielectric grease handy.  Whey you unplug something, squirt a
>dab of grease in the female end.  It will go back together much easier ,
>next time you take it apart it will slide apart much easier.  Helps prevent
>corrosion.
>
>If you ground the temp wire where it goes into the sender then the temp
>gauge should move to hot.  Same with the fuel gauge.  Right under the
>license plate light is a two wire harness that runs to the top of the fuel
>tank.  I unplug these and jump them together. The gauge goes to full if it's
>working.

-- Support Habitat for Humanity - a hand UP, not a hand OUT --