Re: Wiring Harness Cleaning

To: Ronnie Day <ronday@tlabgalaxy.net>
Subject: Re: Wiring Harness Cleaning
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 12:29:43 -0700
> Realizing that 35 year old vinyl insulation is very prone to being stiff and
> brittle, even without exposure to engine and exhaust heat, what cleaners
> have folks had good experiences using?

Truth be told, I would be very hesitant to take the harnesses apart.
Surface dirt isn't going to matter to the electrons :-), and if the
insulation is brittle you'll probably end up damaging the wires.

Likely, some of the plastic ends will disintegrate on you as well.

I'm all in favor of a careful inspection, and if there are trouble
spots addressing them, but all in all I fear that if you pull things
apart you're going to be looking at a real headache getting it
back together.

-- John