Re: Ring Gear Replacmnet

To: "James Richards" <jmr407@mindspring.com>,
Subject: Re: Ring Gear Replacmnet
From: "Richard Brown" <reblues@reblues.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 09:42:43 -0500
James,

I've tried it on a 2000.  It's harder than pulling the engine/trans.  You
have to move the engine forward enough to get to the bolts to remove the
clutch cover & flywheel bolts.  So you have to remove everything as though
you were pulling the motor.  Once that's all done you still have to work
under the car, at odd angles, to get the trans broke loose from the engine.
Don't forget that you need to have a hoist hooked up to move the engine
around, or maybe a floor jack under the pan (right in the same space you
need to be to get to the flywheel.  After you have successfully gotten it
apart and replaced the ring gear, the fun really begins.  Getting the clutch
disc/cover aligned so the trans shaft slides in the pilot bearing while
working in the narrow gap between the engine and transmission is a real
bitch.  Then mating the engine and transmission can be something of a
magicians trick.

I replaced the clutch disc once that way.  I knew the parts manager at a
Datsun dealership in the 70's.  I told him I could do it and the service
manger said I was crazy.  They let me use of a dealership shop bay with a
lift.  After work on Saturday afternoon I pulled the car in and started.
Some of the mechanics hung around to watch the dumba** computer guy.  About
3:00 am, with the help of a couple of the mechanics, the clutch was replaced
and the engine/trans were together.  I came back in Sunday morning and
finished up.

I used to be able to change the clutch by myself, pulling and replacing the
engine/trans in a afternoon and evening.

Richard