RE: Octane booster opinions request

To: Roadster Listgroup <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Octane booster opinions request
From: Dan Neff <neffster189@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 20:29:36 -0600
Michael Knorr wrote:
 >I'm sure this subject has been revisited on this server ad nauseum, but what
 >are your opinions on octane boosters in this unleaded era? Do I need one or
 >not? If I do, what brands do you favor? If I don't, why am I concerned? An
 >acquaintance just restored a '69 1600, fine tuned it, added an octane
 >booster, and passed State of Utah emissions WITHOUT a smog pump. I own a '66
 >and so don't have to worry (yet) about smog inspections, but my car still
 >pings away when I'm climbing up my steep driveway in second gear -- first
 >gear, no problemo. Also, when I'm driving up Capitol Hill in Salt Lake City
 >and decide to punch it. I run cheap as I can get 80-whatever octane regular
 >gas in my car, and treat it like a newborn.

Mine passed Colorado emissions without any 'booster' or smog pump. From
what I've gathered, an octane booster is snake oil (ie: don't bother),
however I would be extremely concerned about you running regular octane
if you want to treat it like a newborn. I run premium (91 oct at 7000'),
and the ONE time my son tried to sneak $5 worth of mid-grade, I knew
within a few blocks something wasn't right. Do your car a favor, and
run premium.

dan neff    '69 2000 (treats it like a newborn, but drives it like a maniac)
colorado springs, co
http://www.wyroc.org