Re: Octane booster opinions request

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Octane booster opinions request
From: "Andy Cost" <andycost@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 22:38:28 -0500
You don't need octane booster unless you are getting detonation.  It is a
common misconception that higher octane is somehow better.  Higher octane
only means that the gas doesn't ignite as easily.  Typically you would see
lower horsepower with higher octane on any given engine.  The only reason
you would want higher octane is if your compression ratio is much higher
than stock or if you are running a bunch of ignition advance.  Either
situation would cause detonation.

My advise is to run the lowest octane you can without getting detonation.

> I'm sure this subject has been revisited on this server ad nauseum, but
what
> are your opinions on octane boosters in this unleaded era? Do I need one
or
> not? If I do, what brands do you favor? If I don't, why am I concerned? An
> acquaintance just restored a '69 1600, fine tuned it, added an octane
> booster, and passed State of Utah emissions WITHOUT a smog pump. I own a
'66
> and so don't have to worry (yet) about smog inspections, but my car still
> pings away when I'm climbing up my steep driveway in second gear -- first
> gear, no problemo. Also, when I'm driving up Capitol Hill in Salt Lake
City