acetone

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: acetone
From: jover4x4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:26:46 -0400
List,.........sending this out again in case it wasn't "edited".

Bob,  Good question!  My chemical compatability guide suggests elasomer
materials of EPDM, Isoprene or Isobutylene/Isoprene for use with
acetone.......all of which are NOT typically used for hydrocarbon service.
Typical rubber material for hydrocarbon service is Viton or Nitrile Buna
Rubber.  These two materials are not rated for acetone.  However, I think in
small concentrations one could get away with it without impending failure of
elastomers.  Longevity may be shortened a bit especially on the dynamic
seals..... as in the fuel pump.  If it were me I wouldn't trade the small
increase in fuel mileage for the risk of shortened life of fuel related
components.  If one were using the Roadster as a daily driver and fuel mileage
was the primary concern it could be worthwhile????

Just my thoughts.

John Over
Jemco Seal Corp.
www.wycroc.com