Re: Acetone as a fuel additive - 35% milage increase or 100%

To: "limprod" <limprod@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: Acetone as a fuel additive - 35% milage increase or 100%
From: "Stephen Wan" <Steve@olsonarchitect.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 08:41:55 -0700
To revive an old thread...
I just happen to put a few ounces of acetone into the tank before my ortega
run (130 miles).
Previously my mileage has dropped to 18mpg since going with low profile tires
in combination w/ a K&N.
I just filled up the tank at 193 miles and the pump stopped at just under 8
gallons.
That doesn't seem right, so I squeeze the lever again. Click.
As I pull the recipt, I do the math........25mpg?!?!
I get 18 mpg doing 70% hwy and 30% city driving, but 25mpg on a ortega cruise
with full throttle runs.
My other cars, though, have not seen any increase in mileage.
My theory is that fuel injectors do a great job of atomizing the fuel and
reducing surface tension does not make the fuel burn more completely.
On a carburated engine, reducing surface tension may make a bigger difference
since the venturi effect is not break up the fuel droplets as efficiently.
Unfortunately I also added 91 octane gas rather than 87 to prevent pinging
before my run so further testing is required.
My current tank of gas will have 87 octane and acetone.

Steve
70' 1600