The "Newbie" has found the love of his life.

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.ne roadster list'"
Subject: The "Newbie" has found the love of his life.
From: "Matthew Smith" <matthews517@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:11:34 -0700
Hello List,

Here's an update on the hunt for the elusive SRL.

I've found her and her name is Loreli. She's a 1970 2000. Her VIN is SRL311
13951 and engine # U20 09561 (not orig.). She is Mercedes Silver. She has a
soft top. (Thank you Craig Halsted!! It cleaned up BEAUTIFULLY!) I purchased
"Loreli" from Liz Vipond. I was referred to her by Tim Miner (another big
thanks to Tim).

Here is a link to a bunch of pictures of her (Many of the pix are showing
her flaws instead of just her beauty):

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2120555391

I'll tell more later but I'm still packing. I move to Tennessee in 3 days.
The shipping company will pick Loreli up tomorrow.

I do have a few quick questions I'd like to ask the list:

1.         In the pictures of the Solex carburetors you can see the air
filters. They're extremely dirty. Anyone know the maker/part # of these
filters?

2.         The engine idles a little rough. When I removed the air filter on
the front carb, I could hear a popping/sucking kind of sound (like when you
form your mouth into an "O" and pop your hand against it.). Any idea what
the problem might be? Or how bad it's going to be to fix? I don't hear it
out of the rear carb.

3.         The Panasports 15x7 front and 15x8 rear have P195 50 R 15 82V and
P205 50 R 15 94V respectively. The front end of the car is quite low. The
back is high because, as you'll see in the pic of the rear leaf springs,
it's not set up right. Here are the questions. What size tires would fit
these rims well and not have the outside edge of the tires get cut (front)?
What size tires would be best for the rear to make sure they fit inside the
wheel wells without rubbing (inside or out) when I add competition leaf
springs (two inch drop) AND flip the shackles back over (is that another 4
inches)? P.S. I'd also like to get the tires back closer to the stock
circumference so the speedo is correct. I realize there may be some loss in
traction, but the better handling should compensate.

4.         In that picture of the rear leaf springs, do they curve the right
way? Seems odd.

As I said, she idles kind of rough, but on the drive back to Glendale from
Laguna/Dana Point, this lil car didn't hit her stride till about 85 mph
somewhere between 3200 and 3600 RPM in 5th gear. From there she REALLY
wanted to move!! This was on the 605 freeway passing Irwindale Speedway. OMG
I wanted to take a few laps!!! LOL!

To the vendors on this list. See ya soon!!! LMAO!

I'll have access to my email till Thursday morning, then not again till
Saturday afternoon. Email address will remain the same after my move.

Have a GREAT week everyone!

Matthew A. Smith