RE: SCCA Solo II Results

To: "Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: SCCA Solo II Results
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 22:51:05 -0700
Yeah, I know you're just jerking my chain, but for those who don't know,
look at it this way:

On a road course you might encounter 9 or 10 turns in a lap that takes 1:30
(1 min 30 sec) to 1:50. You can screw up the line through a corner and still
turn a pretty good lap time, and still win a race.

On an autocross course, you might encounter 20 turns in a lap of 0:40. If
you screw up and hit a cone, it adds 2 sec to your time. If you miss a gate,
it adds 10 sec. Either one toasts that run. If you simply blow a corner and
scrub off some speed, you'll lose. You only get three tries (sometimes four,
depending on the sanctioning body) and each one counts separately. Lots of
events are decided by hundredths of a second. I've even seen a tie to
thousandths of a sec for a class win.

Road racing is a waltz; autocrossing is break-dancing. Either one is hard to
do well.

Gordon