differential lube

To: "'datsun-roadsters'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: differential lube
From: Greg Chirpich <SportsterGreg@everestkc.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 22:32:42 -0700
While repacking the rear bearings and changing the shocks, I noticed
the dirt/oil accumulation on the differential.  I'm guessing the
mechanic who got her running for me forgot to change the gear lube.

So, any tricks to changing the lube and how much and what weight do I
put in.  Looks like the bottom plug will unscrew with a 1/2" drive
ratchet.  I'm assuming that is the drain plug.   There's another plug
just below the middle (height wise).  Is that the fill plug.  If so,
the differential won't take much fluid.  Thanks for any suggestions.

Oh, and a thank you to Gordon who appears to have correctly surmised
that my rear end click was not a bearing but a backing plate contacting
a brake drum.

Greg
69 2000
Overland Park, KS