RE: Speedometer Cable

To: <ed.sawyer@comcast.net>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Speedometer Cable
From: "Graeme Suckling" <graemes@saonline.com.au>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 19:53:17 +0930
Eddie,
 you will not be able to rotate the speedo cable which goes back to the
gearbox IF all is normal.
If it DOES rotate, then it has either slipped out of the gear box drive or
has broken somewhere inside the outer sheath.
You can drive the speedo gauge to confirm that it still reads OK by just
flicking the spindle around with a small bladed screwdriver or low speed
drill/driver.
Disconnect the gearbox drive to check if the gear is OK or the cable is
broken.
Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310
1971 P510
1972 PL510
1973 HS30
1993 ECR33 GTS25t
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290669159
Adelaide
South Australia.

Hi Everyone,
A few weeks ago my speedometer quit working and I finally decided I'd better
take a look so I can start planning winter projects. Is there a way I can
tell if it's the cable, the gear or the 90 degree elbow? I took the cable
off the back of the guage and there is just a square piece of wire. I tried
to drive and see if the wire inside spun, but it didn't. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Eddie