Re: electrical question

To: girault@bellsouth.net
Subject: Re: electrical question
From: RWM <RWM@rwmann.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 07:18:45 -0400
Girault,

This regulator component produces from a switched 12/14VDC input a
pulsed 0-12/14VDC output averaging 6-7VDC that powers the fuel and temp
gauges.

My **guess** is that bypassing with straight 12-14VDC would overdrive
the gauges, but not impact the senders.

I don't have a 70 SPL schematic, but on a 68 SRL schematic, the
"Regulator" (2-wire, not the charging system Regulator) is shown at
top-center, next to "Rheostat".  (See attached that won't travel to the
list.)

- Bob Mann, '68 2000 Solex

girault@bellsouth.net wrote:

>1970 SPL311:  There is a little box with two pins, one marked ign, screwed to
>the right side of the steering column.  It contains a bi-metallic strip and
>contact, but also has a thin copper strip fuse on the back side (which happens
>to be burned in two).  Someone on the list said that it was a voltage
>regulator for the gas and temp gauges.  Question:  What does it protect? The
>gauges, or the gas tank sender?  What happens if I bi-pass it?  Can anyone
>find this component on the SPL311 wiring diagram?  Thanks, Girault Jones

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pdf which had a name of
68 SRL wiring_01.pdf]