Woodpecker Clutch

To: Datsun List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Woodpecker Clutch
From: "John E. Stromgren" <lutepisk@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 22:42:27 -0400
Hello, All.

Driving has been great this summer until I started hearing a scraping
sound in neutral that disappeared when I pushed the clutch pedal in.
Giving it more slack didn't help, and adding pressure only made it
worse.  My wife said it sounded like a woodpecker, although I would have
to add, an all-metal one, beating away at my engine.

So, after all these years, I guess I've got a clutch problem.

I know the engine has to come out (which will give me a chance to put in
a better ring gear, and heck - maybe I can get my 5th gear neutral
fixed, as long as I'm pulling the drive train apart).  But what am I in
for?  I've looked at the diagrams in my Clymer's, but that's the extent
of my clutch knowledge.

I might be able find a mechanic willing to take on the job, but I'd
appreciate some arm-chair assessments, first, if any of you veterans
would be willing to offer them.

Thanks.

John
1970 SRL311-14061