Re: Help with Control Arm Spindles

To: Datsun Roadster Forum <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Help with Control Arm Spindles
From: Bill Engelhardt <bengelhardt@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 10:52:33 -0700
The thing to look at is the threads at the end of each control arm spindle.
This is the surface that the bushings ride on and they wear out if not
greased regularly.  You should also look at the threads inside the bushing
because they will wear too.

When I did the front end work on my roadster, the threads were a bit worn on
one of the spindles.  I wasn't able to find a replacement quickly so I just
replaced the bushings and crossed my fingers.  Seems to have worked just
fine.  My front suspension is quite tight now.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the bolts holding the upper control
arm spindle to the frame are prone to vibrating loose.  This will also cause
unwanted play in your control arms.

I bought longer, high strength, bolts and put lock washers and nuts on them.

Good luck.

    Bill Engelhardt
    1970 2000
    Oakland, CA