Re: Question on Wheels

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Question on Wheels
From: Victor Laury <vlaury@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 19:57:37 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
>>> Andy Z Wrote - The car came with 14x7 wheels (0 offset) with 195x60 tires,
>but the rubbed whenever you went over the smallest bump.

>>Gordy wrote I'd say the 0-offset wheels are the real problem.

>Bob Mann Wrote - For example, I run 205/60-14 RE-71s (which has a fairly
>"square" contact patch to sidewall profile) on 14x7 American wheels with no
>fender roll, and don't get any rub at all.

Based on my recent research, on late models with unrolled fenders, the maximum
offsets would be
14X6 +6
14X6.5 +12
14X7 +18

These will be close to rubbing and tire size would really come into play. On
the 6's and 6.5's you could play it safe and add a few mm's to each. But, in
doing so, you'd lose a little of the "Dish" appearance that so attractive. On
the 7's it may be a little more delicate as the backspacing (spring rub) might
become an issue.

I'm currently running 14X6 +6 with 195/60/15's and it's OH! so close, but no
rub.

There may be variety in wheel styles also. For instance, someone on this list
told me that they ran Hayashi Racing Streets (4 spokes of late 70's~early 80's
vintage) at 14X6.5 +9. I can't doubt the report, so I blame the manufacturers
for not "Really" using the same measurement standards

It seems strange that such little increments make so much difference. But if
you see a 6'' wheel with a +15 offset, It really looks "Tucked in". A look that
I don't care for myself.

Big V in L.A.