RE: Don Miller VG30DETT Roadster

To: roadsterx@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: Don Miller VG30DETT Roadster
From: "gregs672liter@netzero.net" <gregs672liter@netzero.net>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 18:14:09 GMT
Ya, it was the VG30 single cam single turbo motor.  I have one from Japan for
the '68 that I will start working on in June.  US spec engine with the low 5lbs
of non-intercooled boost put out only 205 hp (not sure on torque, not sure what
the JDM engine did as it has a different intake manifold).  When I indicated I
would be running 10-12lbs (about max you can do with stock injectors and
electronics per a turbo Z site)I expected about 230 at the wheels... Tom said
that was low and said closer to 270 was what he was putting down.  I do wonder
about over 600 hp and 500 lbs torque though... that motor would have to be
SERIOUSLY build and boosted.  Either way, should be a fun project.  I hope the
car will look close to that black and gold race car on the Japco fiberglass
site.  Maybe it will show up at Shasta next year.
Speaking of torque, my friend Steve (cylinder head guru) recently build a small
block Ford for a guy.  Bored out to a 409 (as I recall), heads done, lots of
work to the intake manifold, carefully selected cam (was going to go into a
Bronco for off-roading), engine only 9.5 to 1 compression and runs on pump gas.
 Had it at Turbo Technology's dyno a few weeks ago to dial it in... get this:
395 hp, BUT 575 ft lbs torque AT THE WHEELS AT THE WHEELS AT THE WHEELS.
Normally aspirated, no power adders.  Runs on 89 octane gas.  They ran it twice
to be sure.  If anyone has a Summit racing catalog and looks at what their
"crate" motors are putting out you will see how incredible that torque number
is.
Greg Burrows

-- "michael poorboy" <roadsterx@hotmail.com> wrote:
Andy,
I believe Don used the VG30DET and not the twin cam motor . For what I
understand
from the Z guys is the VG30 single cam turbo using the VG33 truck short
block has
a wider , and lower power band. One of the Z31 guys puts out close to 600 HP
and
well over 500 ft. lbs of torque . I guess that would break a few axles :)

Mike